Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM - Switching to MSP for Project Scheduling

Highlighted
venu_gopalc
Contributor.

PPM - Switching to MSP for Project Scheduling

Hi All,

We are in the middle of implementing Project Management module of HP PPM. We are trying to decide if PPM has to control Work Plan or MSP has to control.

We are doing the impact analysis on MSP and PPM Project Scheduling features. What if we take a decision to use MSP for Project Scheduling? MSP will control the Project Plan and will be imported to PPM.

What would be the impact on the following feature:

1) EV Indicators and Earned Value Analysis

2) Resource Management like (allocation of resources (human and non-human) to MSP tasks)

3) Planned Cost and Actual Cost against Work Plan

4) Schedule health

5) Project Health

Are we going to lose any of the out of the box features of PPM Project Scheduling if we shift to MSP Project Scheduling.

Kindly let me know.

Thanks&Regards
Venu

2 REPLIES
yashpandey
New Member.

Re: PPM - Switching to MSP for Project Scheduling

Hi Venu,

Great to hear that you are using Project Management module . I want to share some of the insights of project management module.

Firstly, you can control the workplan by both MSP and PPM. The feature gives you the flexibility of both. HP provides the plugin for MSP which will help to import the task details into PPM.

Secondly, you can track all the parameter which you have described below.

Let me know if this information is of any help.

Thanks

Yash

venu_gopalc
Contributor.

Re: PPM - Switching to MSP for Project Scheduling

Dear Yash,

Thanks for your response.

I would like to know more details on these parameters if I use Microsoft Project Contolled mode for Project Scheduling.

How can I synchrnoize Planned Cost and Actual Cost? I tried to synchronize Planned Cost and Actual Cost, but I wasnt successful.

If I cannot synchronize Planned Cost and Actual Cost then PPM doesnt calculate CPIs and SPIs. As SPI and CPI are based on Planned Cost and Actual Cost in the Project Plan.

If you did this, kindly let me know.

Thanks
Venu