Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM - Project Access

Highlighted
Elisabete
Valued Contributor.

PPM - Project Access

Hi,

I have a question about how we can restrict the access to projects.

i.e - IT department only should see IT department projects, and same to other departments.

Any idea to help me?

Thank´s

Elisabete

9 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PPM - Project Access

Hi Elisabete,

it is fairly simple to achieve.

Create a project request type per user orgs that need to be separated.

Create a PPM security group per user org that needs to be separated.

User the User access grants per security group and edit the 'user access' tab of the request type to allow token-based access to the request type and add the security group on a per request-type base.

Best regards,

Dirk

Elisabete
Valued Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your help.

But in fact what i need is restrict the access by department and not by request type, because same department can have diferent request type.

I need to restrict by Organization Model.

Can you help?

Elisabete

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Elisabete,

from my point of view, the answer would be similar.

You add those resources that should have access to requests of a certain type to one security group, those of another in another security group and use tokens for the user access to request types.

It doesn't really matter what organizational department, user- or resource group they belong to. Important is that you set up a security group for those resources that should be able to access a certain request types request and give access grants to the security group depending on what you would want to have them do.

So say you have Department xyz and two different groups that use different request types.

Create Dep_xyz_group_1 and Dep_xyz_group_2 and give them access grants depending on the need. Allow on group access to one RT and the other to a different one.

Best regards,

Dirk

Elisabete
Valued Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

So I create department A  and department B .

Department A have Security Group 1 and Department B have Security Group 2.

I have 2 differents project types BU - Processes Project, IT - Applicational Project.

So, i need to change, i.e,project type BU - Processes Project to grant the access only to Security Group, i.e?

I´m new on this topics, so can you help, please?

Elisabete

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Elisabete,

you need to give the access grants necessary for the security groups first.

then you access the project request type in question and in the user access tab, you use the security group token to allow access for the relevant security group to the project request type.

You can also access the document management site on http://support.openview.hp.com and get manuals of all shades for the basics of PPM but if you are really NEW to the product, you might want to consider a base training course before you start getting lost... :-)

Best regards,

Dirk

Elisabete
Valued Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

Now I understand! :-).

For new projects, and to implement this restriction I need to create new project request type, and than restrict the access. So it is OK.

But, at this moment i have about 50 project created. Can I change this projects in order to associate the new rules?

Thank You

Elisabete

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Elisabette,

I'm not sure if it will work.

In the past we HAVE had some issues with access security that was created AFTER the projects were actually created.

You'll have to do some testing to make sure everything works as you need.

In general we always advise to make configuration changes to RTs and then create new requests / projects with those.ä

You might have to live with more access than you wish for the currently existing projects or recreate them under the new request types when those have the access grants that you plan for.

Best regards,

dirk

Elisabete
Valued Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your precious help!

Have a nice wk.

Elisabete

AlfredoMonasi
Honored Contributor.

Hi Elisabete,

You may relate your department with a specific security group and save it in a field of the project the add that token as security group in the permission grant. That should do the trick.

Alfredo