Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM Memory Usage

Highlighted
Cat_2
Super Contributor.

PPM Memory Usage

Are there any diagnostic tools that I can use to evaluate how PPM uses memory? Our PPM performance is getting worse and I'm looking for find out why. Currently we have a single node and we are switching to 3 nodes tomorrow night but I'd still like to understand what is cause the recent perf. degradation. We're down to about a week and a half of runtime before it crashes. The java.exe memory maxes around 2G and it locks up.

We're running PPM 8.01 on a Windows 2003 64bit VM. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
Micro Focus Expert

Re: PPM Memory Usage

Hi Cat,

What do you mean that java.exe "locks up"? Are you witnessing some OutOfMemoryException when the process reaches its max size?

If you are witnessing OutOfMemoryExceptions, an easy analysis solution would be to start your PPM Server JVM with the option -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError (details can be found at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/memleaks-137499.html#gdyrr ).

If it is possible to do so, I would advise you to reduce the Java heap memory allocated to the PPM Server (to no more than 1.3 GB), as it would help you reach the memory limit (and thus get your memory dump) faster.

Once you have your hprof dump file, the easiest-to-use solution I can think of would be Eclipse Memory Analyzer, which can be downloaded as a standalone tool at http://www.eclipse.org/mat/downloads.php . It can analyse the Heap Dump and automatically generate reports that point at potential sources for the memory problems.

If you want a more comprehensive choice of tools (including live monitoring tools that don't need to do a post-mortem analysis), you should find plenty of material in the official Java documentation link I provided before (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/memleaks-137499.html ). If you can afford it, you can also give a try at HP Diagnostics which is a great analysis tool (an evaluation version for J2EE can be downloaded from https://h10078.www1.hp.com/cda/hpdc/display/main/secure/license.jsp?zn=bto&cp=54_4000_100 ).

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

We had a memory leak that caused us to schedule an application bounce once a week in order to avoid unscheduled outages. The leak was associated with request processing. HP provided a hot fix that resolved the problem. We are running 7.5 SP7. It is quite possible you are seeing the same issue in 8.0.

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

I'll check on those tool Etienne and look at adding that param. This is our production server so I'll wait until later to modify the server config. Its already crashed twice today (highly unusual) and I'd rather not do it again unless I have to during business hours. 

Could one really large project in PPM cause this much angst?

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

For Jim_Esler, we've opened a ticket with HP to try to resolve the issue. I hope you are right.

Our app has a base JVM memory load (0-5 users) of about 700-800M per node. What the the normal memory load for everyone else?

Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

We are also facing the out of memory issue very frequently in version 8.02.  Say with in every 5-6 days we got the out of memory issue.

But on increasing the Prem and heap size the issue is now coming in every 10-11 days (duration just doubled). We have been following with HP from last two months, but still no success :smileysad:

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Cat_2
Super Contributor.

I would say 5-6 days is about our normal range as well. We may have a WebEx with HP tomorrow - if they provide any insight I'll pass it along.

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Our memory leak in 7.5 SP7 was addressed with a hot fix. Our case number was 4621025095. The patch was generated in January.  It is possible you are seeing the same thing in 8.0. Hope this helps.

Cat_2
Super Contributor.

We just had a conference call and they are working on putting together some patches for us. We're also looking at SP3 as one of the errors we are seeing now is specifically mentioned in SP3 release notes (we only have SP2). SP2 was supposed to fix things not create more issues, so I'm a bit nervous about going ahead with SP3.

Has anyone ever rolled back a service pack?