PPM - MSP Integration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sevcan
Collector

PPM - MSP Integration

Hey all,

In our system , there is a PPM - MSP integration ppm controls the time track. But, when the project is taken from ppm to ms projects. It tranfers the Schduled finish field wrong. Instead of Scheduled finish , it transfers actual finih and this affects duration and work.

I want to check the field mapping. How can I check the field mapping?

Thanks,

Sev

5 REPLIES
dirkf
Honored Contributor

Re: PPM - MSP Integration

Hi Sev,

hope all is well with you.

I believe from previous tickets you have my official hp-mailaddress. Please let me have the settings in project settings -> msp integration per screenshot (the full page with all settings) as well as the mpp-file. If it's no security risk you can attach it here - just giving you options.

Besides the point - the actual finish can only be transferred if the task is complete. That should end in the situation that both scheduled and actual start and finish dates should be the same, since per design, the msp-integration synchs the scheduled start to be the actual start when the task is actually started - thus both are the same (as in PPM) while the actual finish date sticks to the ACTUAL finish, the scheduled finish stays.

the other question is which ootb-field you are using to show the actual finish.

in MSP-integration, the fields 'START' and 'FINISH' are the scheduled field values whereas the actual start and finish dates have the names 'ACTUAL START' and 'ACTUAL FINISH'.

Lastly, viewing the field mappings in MSP (you can see them in teh project settings wihin PPM) largely depends on the version of MSP that you are using. In MSP 2010, you can find them this way: Project-Tab -> Custom fields . Then on the top right choose the category of field you want to check. Check the settings. OOTB though, there should be no mappings, thus I expect that there is simply a misperception of fields being shown in MSP.

My suggestion: Add columns to make yourself familiar with the MSP-fields avaialble. All is synched from PPM to MSP but only four or five field columns are shown. Add field columns with values from PPM to see what is synched where.

Let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Dirk

sevcan
Collector

Hello Dirk,
Thanks for your detailed answer. I can not share the details here. So, I emailed you the details.

Regards,
Sev
dirkf
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Sevcan,

I think the issue is more of a misunderstanding of how the integration between the two work.

Actual start date

Actual start

Microsoft Project defaults Start to Actual Start when this date is known.

Actual finish date

Actual finish

Microsoft Project defaults Finish to Actual Finish when this date is known.

Actual duration

Actual duration

Microsoft Project recalculates Actual Duration from the Actual Start and Actual Finish dates.

Scheduled duration

Duration

Microsoft Project recalculates to make sure the start/finish/duration are in sync, but duration is not always changed. For example, if the task is ‘fix duration’, only the start/finish dates are changed.

Check also the following:

Why are the scheduled dates in Microsoft Project sometimes different than in PPM?

In PPM, a task can have actual start and finish dates that are earlier or later than the planned dates. In Microsoft Project, on the other hand, these actual dates will override the respective scheduled dates. For example, if a task was scheduled to start on May 1st but is reported to have actually started on May 2nd, Microsoft Project automatically changes the task start date to May 2nd.

When PPM tasks with actual dates are synchronized, Microsoft Project applies these rules to the task data. For this reason the scheduled dates in Microsoft Project may not be identical to the dates in PPM.

Why are task durations in Microsoft Project sometimes different than in PPM?

When PPM task data is synchronized, the highest priority is given to keeping the start and finish dates identical. In most cases, the duration will also be identical. However, Microsoft Project will always recalculate the duration of each task based on the start and finish dates and the Microsoft Project resource calendars. As a result, there may be some discrepancies.

And

Why did synchronizing actuals change the scheduled dates in Microsoft Project?

Microsoft Project automatically reschedules the project in response to the actual dates from PPM. The following notes summarize the interaction. See “Tracking Project Actuals through the Integration” for more information.

When you synchronize projects in the ‘Control is shared’ synchronization mode, information is transferred in both directions. First, the PPM actuals are applied to Microsoft Project. Second, the Microsoft Project schedule dates are applied to PPM.

When a task is updated with actuals, Microsoft Project checks whether the scheduled dates and durations are consistent with the actuals. If Microsoft Project finds any discrepancies, it automatically reschedules the task to correct the problem. You will observe the same behavior if you type in the actuals manually.

When the synchronization applies PPM actuals to the tasks in Microsoft Project, it is likely that Microsoft Project will implicitly adjust some of the schedule dates. There is no way to turn off that feature of Microsoft Project. For that reason, you should always take a careful look at the active portions of your project in Microsoft Project after the synchronization is complete.

This is just the way that the integration behaves and not a problem with PPM.

Let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Dirk

sevcan
Collector

Thank you Dirk.

This is the solution to my question.

Regards,
Sev
DVBPPM
Acclaimed Contributor

Dear All,

Sorry to intrude myself into the discussion but I am actually confronted with this same dilema. I.e., I need to use PPM as a reference tool and MSP as a more daily management tool.

Indeed, we need to control the actuals in PPM and manage the tasks in MSP, while using a shared-control setting on PPM. Though, we loose all references when we want to compare scheduled start and finish, with actual start and finish.

I think that we are more "control" than schedulers but in our reality, we need to do both.

So, my question: is the explanation given by Dirk sufficient to address this subject or have you found a complementary way, as well?

Sorry again for being so directive.

Many thanks

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event