Did you mean: 

PPM LOG rotating

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Andrea Loi

PPM LOG rotating

Hi,

I am trying to rotate the LOG, in order to archive old copies of deleted LOGs.

I set

com.kintana.core.logging.ROTATE_LOG_SIZE = 5KB

in <PPM Home>\conf\logging.conf file (this value is little to perform some tests).

But when serverlog.txt is purged, no archived versions of serverLog_timestamp>.txt are created in

<PPM Home>\server\<Server>\log

folder

I am working in PPM9.

What is missing?

Thanks for your help

Andrea

12 REPLIES
dirkf
Honored Contributor

Re: PPM LOG rotating

Hi Andrea,

If I understand correctly, you want to make sure that you catch the correct logs with a certain logging threshold.

There is a difference between the log threshold (where you set if for instance only errors are displayed or also warnings or all information) which you have to be very careful about because it gets very verbose, on the one side. On the other side, you have the serverlog.txt and this is what I THINK you intend to find.

For the serverlog.txt there are two parameters:

ROTATE_LOG_SIZE

MAX_BACKUP_INDEX

The first tells PPM how large a serverlog.txt may become before actually saving and archiving this (to the same folder as the one that is currently written to). Default is 250k and you can increase this to the level that you need. The more verbose your logging is, the quicker this file is written to and fills up.

The second parameter determines, how MANY files are created as archives until the oldest one is overwritten.  Default value is 20.

For example:

ROTATE_LOG_SIZE = 1024K

MAX_BACKUP_INDEX = 20

The active log is written to until it has reached 1 MB in size. It is then archived, a new file is started. this continues until all 20 backup files are written full, then the oldest one is overwritten. this means that you can have a log-folder with 21 log-files (1 active, 20 backup). Calculate carefully how much space you have prior to setting this up.

Hope this helps, else let me know what info is missing. Incidentally, this is information from the admin guide pages 465 foward.

Best regards,

Dirk

Andrea Loi
Solution

Hi Dirk,

my problem is that PPM does not create any backup files.

I found that MAX_BACKUP_INDEX was not set, so I set it.

But again I saw the serverlog increase up to 5KB, then restart from 0KB and no new files are created in the same folder.

Consequently, when serverlog.txt reaches the ROTATE_LOG_SIZE, I loose all LOGS at two minutes before, indipendently on files dimensions.

If you remember any parameters required to activate LOG backup, it's very useful.

Thanks for your help

Andrea

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Andrea,

hmm, I remember that there was an issue with 8.03 rolling, meaning that no backup files were created and instead, the active one is overwritten immediately. This happened when the windows service was used to start PPM and not kStart. Now, a 5k serverlog won't help you much, I advise to set to 250k. In addition to that, I would test a start with kStart.sh instead of the windows service just to test that behaviour. I just checked and it seems that the defect I reported in 8.0x (and solved in 8.03) seems to be present also for 9.1x and is planned to be solved in 9.12 ...

Check QCCR1L28261 on SSO.

Thus, if you start PPM via kStart.sh, the problem should not occur and backup-files should be created.

Let me know if that helps.

Best regards,

Dirk

Andrea Loi

Hi Dirk,

you are right.

If I start PPM by kStart.sh, it works.

Just one more question: if I start PPM by kStart, my command prompt is not released, so when I disconnect from my Administration session, PPM server goes down.

If you are running kSTart on Windows, how are you resolving this matter?

Thanks a lot

Andrea

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Andrea,

I'm not quite sure what you refer to when you mean 'when I disconnect from my admin session' but generally, the answer is that we have a special user that we install PPM with that is not admin of the box we connect to. That way for instance I can disconnect from the RDC-session when logged in with my win admin account and the PPM owner-based cygwin box stays open.

Maybe someone else has an opinion on how to solve this issue but if you use RDC, then I would use a different account.

Best regards,

Dirk

Andrea Loi

Thanks a lot

Andrea

erik_c
Regular Collector

Andrea, support also has a hotfix for this log rolling issue if you ask for it. We just applied it for 9.1 SP1 here.

Andrea Loi

OK, thanks

Andrea

shijubch
Regular Collector

Hi,

Do changes in loggin.conf requires PPM service to be restarted.

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

It may take a minute or two after you change logging.conf, but PPM will see that the file has changed and reprocess it. When this happens, you will see a message in the log file reporting that "Logging reconfiguration complete" or something like that. PPM does not need to be restarted.

shijubch
Regular Collector

Hi,

We are also having PPM on Windows environment and when I try to stop the PPM services through command prompt.

This is what happend, I run kstop.sh and in the password cursor keeps on blinking even after entering the password.

bash-2.05$ sh kStop.sh -now -user isintadmin
JAVA_HOME = E:/jdk1.6.0_18
java version "1.6.0_18-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_18-ea-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.0-b12, mixed mode, sharing)
Password:

is there anything missing ??

shijubch
Regular Collector

Andrea,
were you able to resolve this issue
if I start PPM by kStart, my command prompt is not released, so when I disconnect from my Administration session, PPM server goes down.

Let me know the steps you took to resolve this.

Thanks

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event