Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM Integration with Business Object V 4.X

Highlighted
DanielJiang
Occasional Contributor

PPM Integration with Business Object V 4.X

Do I have to have a dedicated Business Objects instance for PPM Operational Reporting? Is it possible to share it with our existing BO instance? We have enterprise BO application and it is version 4.X.

According to HP,  PPM 9.22 needs SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.1 with Service Pack 5 Fix Pack 3.

But the BO 4.0 is reverse compatible with BO 3.0 according to SAP.

I just wonder if there is anybody who doesn't use dedicated BO instance for PPM, and if Yes, is it version 4.X?

8 REPLIES
Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Re: PPM Integration with Business Object V 4.X

Hi Daniel,

With the recent release of PPM Reporting content pack 2.0, PPM reporting focuses on providing the business data, and lets you use any reporting solution on top of this PPM Reporting DB Schema (BO 3.1, BO 4, Tableau, Cognos, etc.) provided that you have the license for it of course.

The only drawback is that there's no BO Universe provided with Content Pack 2.0, so you will have to create your own on top of the PPM Reporting Database. Since you already have BO in-house, I take it you already have the skills for it and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, you could retrieve the BO universe from earlier PPM Reporting content pack (1.1 --> 1.3) where there's a BO Universe included that's compatible with BO 2.0 but lacks all the new DM and PfM tables introduced in CP 2.0.

Thanks,

Etienne.

DanielJiang
Occasional Contributor

Etienne,

Thanks!

We are going to install the Content Pack 2, which is the reporting database, and then integrate it with our current BO instance. Yes, I noticed that the Universe and reports are not in Content Pack 2 offered by HP any more.

One question: how is the BO sign on is handles for shared BO solution? If user wants to run operation reports from PPM user interface, how do they sign into BO?

Thanks,

Daniel

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Daniel,

There's no sharing of user information between BO and PPM, but there's a BO portlet in PPM that allows for PPM users to run BO reports from their PPM dashboard, using the BO Web Interface for reports. However, the PPM users have to fill in their BO credentials in the BO Portlets first.

It may be possible to skip the double authentication if both BO and PPM use LDAP/NTLM, but having never tried it I'm not sure whether it's working or not.

Thanks,

Etienne.

DanielJiang
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! That's what I am thinking of...

We do use LDAP for PPM, it will be very tricky to do the single sign on. I will give a try.

Thanks again!

Daniel

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Hey Daniel!

We're using this here. So far, we just let people log into BO as "Guest" with a blank password, and we limit what Guest can see/do. It works for us.

You can open/view reports in a PPM portlet, but we find most "power" users would just go directly to BO anyway.

Word on my street is HP is moving all the reporting from BO to Vertica soon so unless you have an urgent need for BO, you might consider waiting for that. The setup/admin is a bit of a beast unless you're a BO pro already.

ec

I heard since the new 9.3 a self B.O reporting solution will be included. Anyone knows if that is true?

Regards,

Alfredo

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi Alfredo,

This is not really a "self BO" solution. It's an Excel template-based reporting solution that should be considered as a replacement/improvement of JSP reports rather than an enteprise-class reporting solution such as BO.

So you start with an XLSX file and edit it by replacing data by placeholders where data will be inserted at runtime. You can write your SQL queries directly in the Excel Template or leverage PPM Dashboard Datasources, or even load data from a Java class (that will get data from a Web Service for example).

The easiest way to know what it can do is to go through the official guide, already available at http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM01181638/binary/PPM9.30_ExcelReports_CookBook.pdf 

We will try to upload the sample files referred in the document in the following days on HP Live Network, but in the meantime I attached them to this message.

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Sample files for the Excel Reports Cookbook are now available to download from HP Live Network:

https://hpln.hp.com/node/80/otherfiles/?dir=21431

The document available on self-solve has been updated to include this link too.

Thanks,

Etienne.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event