Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM Change Window best practices -

Highlighted
kev marks
Regular Collector

PPM Change Window best practices -

We now have users around the globe and doing change windows seems to always stop some location from doing work during thier normal business hours.

How do you handle this?
What kind of notice do you give? (i.e. Email, post on an intranet, use portlet.)
How long before you do a change do you notify people. (i.e. 2 days)
When do you normally do changes? (i.e Every 2nd tuesday)
Do you have a consistant time length of the outages? (i.e. 3 hours)

Any other suggestions you have that would be helpful?
2 REPLIES
Scott A. Wood
Super Collector

Re: PPM Change Window best practices -

We have a global user base also and we have set our maintenance window to be 6am to 9am EST on Sunday mornings. If we need to schedule a longer outage, we notify all users (by email) regarding the outage.

Re: PPM Change Window best practices -

We too are global and have a maintenance window from Saturday at 7pm EST to 12:00pm EST on Sunday. This is for all of our systems; not just HP PPM, and we do not always use this window.

We are trying to go to a quarterly "Release" schedule where all changes are completed, tested, then "Released" according to a set schedule.

There are times when certain changes are required in between, and those are tested, then moved to production. We do make these changes at various times, if no outage is required. If an outage is required, then the change is made during the next maintenance window. Process owners for these changes complete all necessary notifications.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event