Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM 8 sizing and platform

Highlighted
Vladimir Kufner
Super Contributor.

PPM 8 sizing and platform

Hi PPMers,
I need some recommendation regarding sizing for one of our customers. He uses 10000 DM licenses, but just about 1500 are working in concurrent. Used just two modules - DM and TM. Due to localization we decided to upgrade to PPM8 (just recently upgraded to PPM7.5). Customer is having some troubles with performance at the moment and wants to know what would be the right sizing, eventually right platform (customer admitted to accept Red Hat instead of Windows).
The current configuration is Oracle 9 running on Solaris, AS is Windows server with IIS/SSO with 2 CPU's and 4 GB of memory.
My intention would be to use first of all two application servers in cluster in order to make proper load balancing - both with 4 CPUs and 8 GB of memory.
Would welcome any hints and comments to this sizing, eventually experience with Read hat vs. Windows on application server.
thanks
3 REPLIES
Srujan Gudisa
Valued Contributor.

Re: PPM 8 sizing and platform

Please send these sizings inputs to HP Product support, they will give you good information on this.

I attached the format of the sizing input document that you should fill and send it to HP.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

If you really have that many concurrent sessions then you will absolutely want to run with a clustered configuration, even if the JVMs are on the same physical server.

Each JVM can really only utilize about 2 GB of memory, so increasing physical RAM beyond that doesn't help unless you are running multiple JVMs on the same box.

Also, each JVM is really just a single OS process so you can end up with performance issues when one thread (like one of the background services) becomes CPU-bound for a long time and prevents other threads from accessing the CPU. This is the main reason to run as a two-node cluster, with the "user" and "services" nodes split into two JVMs running on the same box - even in relatively small implementations - to prevent that contention.
Johannes Y
Respected Contributor.

I would add that PPM generates a high number of small "serialized" sqls against the database. Potentially I believe that a Solaris box for the db is not the best in terms of response times. We are currently running such a db setup and it is not giving us the reponse times we would like.

What is the current performance problem? Is the system showing bad responsetimes in general or on peak hours?

/Johannes