Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM 7.5 "Edit wokplan"

Highlighted
matran
Contributor.

PPM 7.5 "Edit wokplan"

Hello! I need help and want to know, how to enable to a user to have the button "edit workplan" (in the box workplan) from Project Management module ? Thx a lot!!!

11 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PPM 7.5 "Edit wokplan"

HI Matran,

apart from issuing the resource the correct license(s), the user needs at least the security access grants to be able to edit a workplan. This means you have to edit the user information first to check the licenses alloted in the workbench as well as check the permissions in the security group.

Check the project management configuration and user guides for the access grants necessary for this user.

If you have the notion that all necessary licenses have been given to the user as well as all necessary access grants given to the users security group, please let us know which access grants are given to the users security group.

Best regards,

Dirk

matran
Contributor.

Hi dirkf,
the number of license are exceeded for project management, but is possible to add that user in specified project, to edit workplan only for a specific project?
all the best,
Roman Matran

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Roman,

you make make him particpant of the project in the access grants of that project. When you open the project, you have that button to edit the participants on top of the project. You can edit a resource there but I don't believe that without a project management license the user will be able to get that far.

So for a test I've given dfoeste user a demand management license and made him stakeholder of the project in the referenced section above. I also made him member of the PPM All Users sec group. I then logged in as dfoeste and you don't have the option to search for a project, neither are you able to see the project in any portlet, as far as I was able to test in a short check. Maybe someone else knows more but I don't believe it's possible.

Best regards,

Dirk

Alex_Savencu
Contributor.

hi, all,

@Dirk,

there is common practice that users who participated in the Proposal to require access to the related Project. Of course, nobody will spend money on expensive Project Management licenses. In this case, these users will have to meet the following criteria:

- they have to be configured as participants in the Projects: stakeholders or workflow participants. Only with this option they will be able to access the workflow information from the Project;

- they have to be assigned Project- related access grants, for example View Projects. Thus, they will be able to view the Work Plan as well.

- they will be able to search for requests of type (for example) PFM - Projects. But they will have access to the Search projects and Search Tasks functionalities only if the system menu is customized accordingly.

@Roman: if a user does not have Project Management license, he will not be able to edit the work plan. This is by design, and I think this is also the reason why there is different functionality included in various license types.

I would suggest though to investigate which of your users with PM license assigned haven't logged on to PPM recently(I have seen this situation many times at different intervals) and reassign a PM license to the desired user.

cheers

alex

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Dirk,

This brings up an old question: is HP giving any thought to changing the security model so that users without a PM license can at least view a work plan? This is a glaring hole in the functionality, and is contra to the idea of having PPM as the system of record if people cannot view what is going on.

I opened a request for this a long time ago...do you have any visibility into this?

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Roman,

there you go: Alex provided you with the answer that might work partially work for you with projects that come from proposals;

@Alex: Thanks for making me aware. I didn't know that one. Support does get deprived of the tidbits now and then since we only troubleshoot issues to find out what RnD and customers are capable of breaking :smileyhappy: Lesson learnt on that one.

@Eric: Happy to check up on it. Before I go on a wild goose chase (the legacy tool is unfortunately down and I don't know if it will be repaired at all) can you give me either the CR - or if this is an antique request, the DAT ID will also do, and I'll check up on it.

Best regards to all,

Dirk

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Dirk, wish I had it...that was a couple of employers ago :)
Cat_2
Super Contributor.

I would second Eric's request "is HP giving any thought to changing the security model so that users without a PM license can at least view a work plan'. Business users want to see how their projects are doing and the work plan portlets just don't do it for them. Sure a PM could export but better for full transparency if the project customers can see the details should they wish.

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric, Cat,

In 9.1, there is no change in design:

“In PPM version 9.1 which we are now using, users still will need the Project Management License and "View All Projects" access grant assigned to them, to be able to view a projects work plan. If they do not have the Proj Mang Lic / View All Projects acc grant, they will not see the work plan.”

I found an antique Change Request for this topic, which is visible under QCCR1L36656, having been migrated from the legacy-tool. Ask me, I say it’s dead – still being in status new. Dunno if this WAS the one that you logged, Eric:

Currently only users with a Project Manager license can view a workplan. Please change to only require a lesser license, and allow this function via access grant. We consider this a high priority for effective use of PPM in the enterprise.

Scenario

Viewing projects

Workaround

Requiring a project manager to export the workplan into PDF and share it with the project team outside of PPM.

Unacceptable

Project team members cannot view the project's workplan to see how their tasks fit into the overall project.

Required

Keep the requirement of PM license to EDIT the workplan, change to require a lesser license (such as Demand or Time Mgt) to VIEW a workplan. Since the potential pool of resources that can be assigned to projects is very large, requiring PM license for just viewing the workplan is impractical.

My advice:

Log a new ticket and ER, spread the word here in the forum to increase the customer base that will make the change happen and pray.

Sorry for the bad news.

Best regards,

Dirk

matran
Contributor.

Hi everybody,, thanks for help :) . I'm new in PPM, now i want to migrate PPM from one server to another but i don't know how to make it. Have anyone documentation or steps how to make this? Thanks a lot.

Roman

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Matran,

can you solve / close this thread and open a new one?

Also, I believe that this topic has already been raised here - I believe by Sascha. have a look and if you can't find it, open a new one.

Best regards,

Dirk