Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM 7.5 and Business Objects

Highlighted
Aravinth
Respected Contributor.

PPM 7.5 and Business Objects

Hi,

We are currently on PPM center version 7.1.

Two queries:
1.Is integration of BO & PPM Center possible only with 7.5 or is it feasible in 7.1 ?

2. There is information that HP is planning to release an add-on called 'Starfish' which would be used to integrate PPM center and BO.
Where can I find more information about 'Starfish'?
Thanks a bunch for any information on this.

Regards,
Aravinth
5 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: PPM 7.5 and Business Objects

Hi Aravinth,

HP is planning for BO integration probably in PPM 8.0. I don't think there's an ETA also currently on when 8.0 will be released.
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi. Starfish is an add on to PPM that contains a special version of BO and it is supposed to be available as part of 8.x and as an add on for 7.5 as well. For 7.5 it is planned to be free of charge as such, but needs to be implemented by HP professional service (approx. 5 consulting days).
What we have seen so far, it allows SSO between PPM and BO but is not transparently implemented, i.e. users will realize this is a different tool.
Though the idea looks good we decided for an alternative that extends the capabilities of the genuine PPM reporting engine.
Regards
Sascha
Aravinth
Respected Contributor.

Hi Sascha,

Thanks a bunch for the information.
Just curious; what was the alternative that you decided to implement ?

Also, as I understand, we can have Business Objects point to any oracle database schema. Business Objects Semantic Layer allows personalized optimization settings.
So the only advantage that we have here would be the SSO functionality. Is my understanding right ?

Please let me know.

Regards,
Aravinth
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

We are using JasperReports as it is open source and has more export options than say BIRT. It runs on the ppm tomcat server and even uses ppm's DB connection.
Users won't realize it's an additional product though, as they still run a PPM report but get a PDF instead of an HTML page.

I have no details on the functional differences between BO (the full product) and Starfish. It will probably be limited in some way like the documentum package if you compare it to the stand-alone app.
Regards
Sascha
Aravinth
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Sascha,

That was helpful. Thanks.

Regards,
Aravinth