The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM 7.5 External web server and cluster enviroment issue

Highlighted
Cesar Roque
Regular Collector

PPM 7.5 External web server and cluster enviroment issue

I have an issue with PPM 7.5 with a cluster enviroment and external web server (it happens with IIS and Apache).

When I try to logon at first time I get this message:

You either haven't logged on or your session has timed out due to inactivity.
Please log on to access HP Project and Portfolio Management. (KNTA-10674)

After typing my user and password, user is asked again without any error message, I give my user/password again and get this message:

Web session key has expired. Please login again.

And I have to give them again, after type them again I'm get loged to PPM, but when I click everywhere I'm asked again for my user and password.

Does anybody have had the same issue ?
15 REPLIES
sradtke
Regular Collector

Re: PPM 7.5 External web server and cluster enviroment issue

Hi,

i have the nearly the same behaviour on PPM 7.1 SP11
When trying to logon the first time, i got the message "Web session key has expired". After logon again, i got a corrupt dashboard view.

I was confused when i checked the active sessions for my user with the server logon report. PPM is shown two or more sessions for my user, which were created during few seconds.

It looks like my first logon (Web session key expired) got a active session for ppm.
I think, thats why i got the corrupt dashboard view. Actually i'm waiting for a respone of HP Support
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Do you experience this behaviour with a different browser too? What kind of authentication do you use?
sradtke
Regular Collector

The problem occurs with Internet Explorer. We had the same problem during our last upgrade. But we don't know how we solved the problem last time.

com.kintana.core.server.AUTHENTICATION_MODE=ITG
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

First thing that comes to my mind is the way IE allows to store cookies. What zone is the external web server in?
sradtke
Regular Collector

Our new created preproduction system should be concurrent to our production system.
So we have configured a server cluster with two physical servers.

There are two ppm instances running on each server. One for user traffic, the other one for service handling only.

Each physical server has an IIS webserver, which handles the cluster.

Server 1:
external_web_port=8009

Server 2:
external_web_port=8010

The ports are also defined in the workers.properties file of each server.
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Is there any load balancing done between the two IIS instances? Maybe a third party appliance?
sradtke
Regular Collector

Yes,
we have a BigIp hardware load balancer, which splits the user traffic before.

But we are running the hardware load balancer also in our production system.
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

When you are logged into PPM, please paste javascript:alert(document.cookie) into the address field then click to some other page and do the same again to find out if you stay on the same cluster node. (the node name is appended to the jsessionid)
It will show the base url too, please check if it is correctly set.
sradtke
Regular Collector

Hi Sascha,

here is the output of the server logon report. My user is only active on server1.

Username Idle for Logon at Client Host Interface Debug Level Trace Mode
-------- ------------ --------------------------- -------------- --------- ----------- ----------
admin 00:01:12 sec 22. March 2010 15:57:05 CET 10.16.176.21 PPM ERROR false
admin 00:01:05 sec 22. March 2010 15:57:11 CET 10.16.176.21 PPM ERROR false
admin 00:00:49 sec 22. March 2010 15:57:28 CET 10.16.176.21 PPM ERROR false
admin 00:00:46 sec 22. March 2010 15:57:31 CET 10.16.176.21 PPM ERROR false
admin 00:00:05 sec 22. March 2010 15:58:11 CET 10.243.212.135 Workbench ERROR false

First logon was not successful (Web session key expired) but the session was created.
When i tried to add the java parameter to the url and change to a different page, i get the logon page again.
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, I should have elaborated a little bit more. when pasting javascript:alert(document.cookie) into the address field (and hit enter) a dialog shows you the cookie content for the web page. There you can see the base url, the java session id, the cluster node name and some other things too.
What you see there is transfered to the server for each request (i.e. page). The server uses the jsessionid to identify your session. It should not change as long as you do not click logout.

I would first try to find out if the jsessionid changes without logging out. If only IE behaves like this and Firefox does not, I would bet on a IE setting. That's why I asked for the zone that IE displays in the status bar.
Cesar Roque
Regular Collector

Hi Sradtke,

I didn't close this thread but I was able to solve it. My mistake was that at the workers.properties file I set diferent names for workers than the server_name for the application servers.

I mean at the PPM server.conf i set the server name like PPM1, PPM2 so on and at the workers.properties the name for workers was server1, server2 ....

That used to work at ITG and Kintana but not at PPM. I hope this helps.

sradtke
Regular Collector

Hi Cesar,

i checked the workers.properties and server.conf files. In both files, the server name is identical.

So this should not be the problem.
Thank you for your respone.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Make sure your load balancer is routing all traffic for a given user to just one server. If queries for a session are routed to the wrong server, the behavior would match what you are seeing.
shaheer sulaima
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ceser

Me also faced the same problem once. But for me the problem was i was accessing the url thats end with page name Login.jsp.. actually it was Logon.jsp
cankanbay
Acclaimed Contributor

Hello, this problem could be caused by the BASE_URL parameter in server.conf file.

after each operation the client is redirected at this url.

if users are logging on using DNS name and are directed at a loadbalancer for example.

the session is stored for the DNS name and if it is not the same ase BASE_URL. users will get kicked out gettin session error.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event