Did you mean: 

PPM 7.1

Highlighted
Mahinder Kariro
Occasional Contributor

PPM 7.1

Hi

7.1 SP5

We are currently working on a client requirement where in a csv/xml file is provided on a periodic basis containing budget actuals that need to be updated in PPM.

What's the best way to achieve this. PL/SQL or Webservices?

Are backend budget updates discouraged from this PPM version onwards?

Is it possible to use webservices to update data by reading a csv/xml file or webservices can only be implemented between PPM and an external system which supports webservices and provides an API for it.

Reading thru 7.1 webservices doc, my understanding is that web service operations for Budget Create, read and update have been deprecated in this version and will be re-implemented in future release.

Looking for any pointer/code/doc to achieve this requirement.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Mahinder
14 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: PPM 7.1

Mahinder,

I just finished an PL/SQL implementation of importing financial data from SAP into both the Plan and Actual portions of the budget. Of course, with the client I am working at, there are some User_data fields that come into play when figuring out where the data needs to go, but I can send the code that I used for this implementation.

Jason
Mahinder Kariro
Occasional Contributor

Hey Jason,

Nice to hear from you. Are you still at PG&E.

I would really appreciate if you can fwd me any document or code for this...

Thanks a lot

Regards
Mahinder
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Yes, I am still there. I'll collect the materials once I get into the office this morning.

Jason
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Mahinder,

Here's the two procedures that I wrote for updating the budget entries. Like I said before, they use some User Data fields to hold some other cost data elements that I use for finding which Lines and Cells I need to put the data into. This shouldn't be too hard to adapt to your needs.

Jason
Mahinder Kariro
Occasional Contributor

Jason,

Thanks a lot for this. Do you have a document on the process being followed..ie. data is uploaded in temp tables, then this proc runs on nightly basis..so on..

Something like the above.

Is it ok to update actuals from backend and not use webservices in 7.1?

I would appreciate if you can fwd me the design/tech doc for this..

Thanks again

Regards
Mahinder
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Mahinder,

The process that we follow here is this:

SAP Generates pipe (|) separated files nightly with the data in this format

OrderNumber|CostElement|YearMonthPeriod|Amount

There sre Scheduled Reports in PPM that processes the lines of the files and make the SQL Calls to the functions to update the Budget entity. The Actuals import went live into production on 1/31 and the Plan (Forecasting) went live on 4/11. I've attached the Functional Design Doc. This details out the table mappings for the data import. The Tech Doc that was written was geared towards the SAP side and didn't include anything useful for the PPM side.

Jason
Mahinder Kariro
Occasional Contributor

Jason,

Thanks for this document. Let me know if you have some time in the evening to talk..I can call you after 9 PM..

Thanks
Mahinder
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Yes, I should be available this evening.
Mahinder Kariro
Occasional Contributor

Thanks..i'll call you after 9 PM today. If you have AT&T then we can talk even before...
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Yes, I'm on AT&T. I'm staying out by the airport this week, so I won't get to the hotel until after 7:30.
Mahinder Kariro
Occasional Contributor

Ok..I'll call you after 9 PM. Whats your cortechs mail id?
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

jnichols@cortechs.com
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Mahinder,

Here is the code from the Report Types that prepare the lines in the data file.

Jason
Mahinder Kariro
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot Jason....
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event