Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM 7.1: looking for Editable DropDown which Value are usable in Request

Highlighted
M. Habitzki
Trusted Contributor.

PPM 7.1: looking for Editable DropDown which Value are usable in Request

PPM 7.1 SP8

Is it possible to have in PPM GUI (not Workbench) a editable Drop-Down list which values are used in Requests without using the Workbench?
For example 2-3 User are allowed to update a catalogue and a requester can use this values.

Objective is to perform this in the PPM user interface without Workbench and usually editing Validations.
The "Edit" Permission will be limited to selected Security Group(s)

8 REPLIES
Erik Cole_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: PPM 7.1: looking for Editable DropDown which Value are usable in Request

One way you can do this is by creating a request type specifically to contain the values you want your dropdown to reference. Give those folks create/edit rights to that request type, and then create a validation whose SQL references those requests and place it on the other request type(s).

For example, in our case we have our applications stored as Asset requests. Other request types need to refer to those applications, so we have a validation with SQL like

Select RequestID, Description From KCRT_Requests Where Request_Type_ID = ....

which give us the list, and the applications are updated from the front end via their own workflows & security.

Hope this helps.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can create a PL/SQL Function to insert values into a validation, try to see whether you have any interface tables for insert into Lookup table.

Regards,
Mahendran M
M. Habitzki
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Eric, that sounds very good. In between I had something in mind to use the "table_entries" Table but that´s to complex.

If you already have such solution, do you also have the ability to "disable" (not delete) an entry in your Asset table?
I am still brainstorming but that should also be possible using that Request Type which creates the entry.

Regards

Matthias
Erik Cole_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Sure, we have a Y/N field called "Enabled" on the Asset request type and added a filter on that to the query to only show enabled ones.
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking for a way to allow the users ability to add values that appear in a drop-down. One ways to do this is to set up a user defined field in an request type that a user can update, then set up a validation that is an auto-complete list validated by an SQL that goes against that new field. For instance, if I wish to have a drop-down that shows only years used in header field parameter27 (ex. 2006, 2007, 2008, etc.), here is the SQL that I use:
SELECT distinct to_char(to_date(rh.parameter27, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'), 'YYYY') HDN_YEAR,
to_char(to_date(rh.parameter27, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'), 'YYYY') MY_YEAR
From KINTANA.KCRT_REQ_HEADER_DETAILS rh,
KINTANA.KCRT_REQUESTS r
Where (r.request_type_id = 30518 or r.request_type_id = 30638)
and r.request_id = rh.request_id
order by my_year desc;
In your query be sure to account for the hidden part of the field, as well as the visible.
Michael.Ebert
Super Contributor.

Hi Matthias,

why not take a Table Component?
Create a new Request Type called 'Setup' with a Table Component and give edit rights to specific users.
Then edit the SQL of your Drop-Down list as follows:
SELECT te.*
FROM kcrt_requests r, knta_parameter_set_contexts psc, knta_parameter_set_fields psf, kcrt_table_entries te
WHERE r.request_id = 31086 /* request with table component */
AND psc.parameter_set_id = 213 /*request detail*/
AND psc.context_value = r.request_type_id
AND psc.entity_id = 19 /*request type*/
AND psf.parameter_set_context_id = psc.parameter_set_context_id
AND psf.parameter_token = 'ALLOWED_APPLICATIONS' /* token name of table component */
AND te.request_id = r.request_id
AND te.parameter_set_field_id = psf.parameter_set_field_id

Choose the right fields in select list, replace the request id and token name and you will have your custom Drop-Down list.

Kind Regards,
Michael
M. Habitzki
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for all the very usefull ideas.
Also the idea to use the Table Components sounds good because I expect that multiple records need to be added or disabled "in one task".

In parallel I already startet to create a DEV Request Type to experiment the ideas and requirements.

Kind regards

Matthias
M. Habitzki
Trusted Contributor.

End of last Year I used the mentioned hint to create DEv Request Type "to play" with and to find out our requirements.