Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PPM 7.1 SP8: how to analyze not working timeout in Workflow

Highlighted
M. Habitzki
Trusted Contributor.

PPM 7.1 SP8: how to analyze not working timeout in Workflow

I already tried investigation in this an an other PPM forum but didn´t found yet a hint.

I support two different Demand Mgmt workflows, both have a timeout in the approval Decission Step.
This timeout (3 weekdays) doesn´t work and I couldn´t yet found the root cause.But I also didn´t found out where and howto analyse this step to find the reason.

I didn´t stepped through all the PPM tables,views on the Database.

Does anyone in the forum have a hint "howto analyse the not working timeout?

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PPM 7.1 SP8: how to analyze not working timeout in Workflow

Hi.
if there was an error you might see it in the transaction details of the request. Unfortunately there is no view that displays timed out workflow steps delivered ootb, you could create such a think with the kwfl_ tables.
Which release are you running? Maybe the background service for the timeouts is not running.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

What exactly does 'timeout doesn't work' mean?

Does the decision step have a transition configured for the time out result, but the request isn't going there?
M. Habitzki
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Eric, for sure I need to be more exactly:

"timeout doesn´t work" means that the affected decision step have the timeout transition but the request doesn´t go there.
The "transaction details" log don´t provide any information whether there is an issue or not. The last entry is that the Decission step is still "eligible".

An other decision step in the same workflow, and following on the mentionend step, also has a timeout transition (also 3 weekdays).
This one works perfect. So the .conf settings for timeout are all "switched on"

Regards
Matthias
tech_cons
Respected Contributor.

Hi M.Habitzki,

Did you solve this problem? I also have same problem with?

Thanks.
M. Habitzki
Trusted Contributor.

Hello "dilruba", I checked the "timeout issue" with our HP Software support and we didn´t used a method to look into tables.

We simply created on a DEV environment within the workflow a (temporary) transition using the Timeout result from a Decision step bypassing the step which requires the timeout result. And we used temporary a shorter Timerout Period (15 min instead of 3 days).
This was the most usefull way to investigat what´s going wrong.
This way we found that the issue is not the timeout, it was the Execution step which starts an action in case of an timeout.
Removing the step and draging&drop it again makes the timeout fully working.

So I recomend to use any similar method because it seems to happen that Workflow Steps can have an issue.

Regards
Matthias
tech_cons
Respected Contributor.

Hello,

Thanks for reply. Yes, we applied what you say. but It doen't still work. so I opened case to hp.

Best regards.