cancel

POP UP box in PPM when using Chrome browser

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Frankie_Kings
Super Contributor.

POP UP box in PPM when using Chrome browser

Team, we understand that CHROME is not supported by PPM (we are on 9.14.004), but has anyone run into this issue or have there been any reports of this.

In CHROME, when either searching for a request or simply viewing a request to proceed thru a workflow the following message pops up..

"The page at ppm.heb.com says 'You must provide a value for the field 'Request No' to complete the validation".

Users can click the 'OK' option provided and proceed BUT this is becoming an annoyance and we were wondering if there was a way to resolve this  or what would be causing the pop-up box.

Any advice or information is appreciated.

Thanks much

Frank

25 REPLIES
gjpritchett
Frequent Contributor.

Re: POP UP box in PPM when using Chrome browser

Just ran into this myself, today...

In my case an "Upon Page Load" Advanced Rule is defined with "Project No" as the dependency, with the corresponding token [REQ.REQUEST_ID] being used in the SQL to set a Result Field.  I temporarily malformed the code --which works fine in IE and Firefox-- so that I could see from the inevitable failure what the system was complaining about: the [REQ.REQUEST_ID] isn't being resolved in Chrome.  (Other "standard" fields --Status, for example-- works just fine...)

I found the following article that references the same issue, along with a suggestion for a "workaround."  It's not so much a workaround; rather, a means of notifying Chrome users that they must use a supported browser only.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Project-and-Portfolio-Management/Is-there-a-way-to-block-the-usage-of-a-specific-browser-software/m-p/6467740/highlight/true#M22860

Gary

pepdwill
Honored Contributor.

TorstenNeumann
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

seems like there is good news and bad news regarding this issue at the same time...

Good news: Chrome is an officially supported browser starting with PPM 9.30!

Bad news: Starting with Firefox 33.0 which was rolled out today, the same issue appears...

I hope there will be a workaround soon - otherwise we need to plan for an upgrade...

Best regards,

Torsten

Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, this is know issue in Chrome. The reason for this issue is due to functionality of Chrome, i.e. inorder to display the result faster, Chrome starts displaying/loading the page as soon as request is hit, so it displays the result as soon as it gets the response from server. Unlike IE it does not wait to get complete response and then display the web page.

Due to this partial response, some tokens like Request ID is not resolved (due to partial result) and then it keeps on showing the pop-up message.

I hope I am clear.

Due to this error some time in Request type most of the rules are also not working and also some time the web page java script fails and user cannot take any action.

HP has started suppoting Chrome starting from version 9.3.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
pepdwill
Honored Contributor.

Will Firefox v33 work with PPM 9.3?

Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

The doucmentation says that PPM 9.3 will work with FireFox 11 and up.

alex-h
Super Contributor.

Actually Firefox V33 didn't work with PPM 9.22.0003. All Request rules are brokens !

Miguel72
New Member.

Hi!

Does anyone know any workaround or any way to fix this issue with Firefox 33?

Thank you!

Mig.

AlfredoMonasi
Honored Contributor.

According to alex-h the only option was to upgrade to PPM 9.30 with the last SP.

TorstenNeumann
Respected Contributor.
Solution

Hi everyone,

we faced the same issue and it disappeared with HP PPM 9.31 using

Mozilla Firefox 31 ESR

Google Chrome 42

ELGuidi
Frequent Contributor.

And it looks like it raises it's ugly head again with Chrome version 44.   Oy!

Frankie_Kings
Super Contributor.

Hello All,  Yes fortunately  (or unfortunately for some) we upgraded to 9.31 a couple of months ago and we have not run into this issue since, although 9.31 does bring along other differences and new issues with it!  From what it looks like, upgrading may be the only option for some.   Thanks!

ELGuidi
Frequent Contributor.

We upgraded to 9.31 on June 5, 2015.  The pop up error went away while using Google Chrome 42 and 43.  Yesterday Google forced an update to version 44.0.2403.89 .  The error has now returned.  The Request_ID is not being found by Google Chrome.  Further investigation has shown that this error does not come up for every Request Type in PPM.  We are trying to assess why 5 Request Type give the error while another 3 Request Types do not.  We have also asked HP Support to investigate this because Google Chrome cuts our processing time in half compared to the overly restrictive nature of IE.

Frankie_Kings
Super Contributor.

EL Guidi,

Thanks for you note on this issue reappearing in the latest update to Chrome.  As we have both 'IE' and 'CHROME' browsers in our shop it is up to our PPM users to use whichever they prefer so we had not gotten any reported issues from our users.  But I updated my Chrome browser session and started to receive the popup box also. 

I also opened a ticket with HP SUPPORT and they have indicated they DO NOT support CHROME 44,  even though the compatibility matrx guide says CHROME 36 OR LATER is supported.   They are supposed to address this in a future release and update the documents.  Their only suggestion is to use  Chrome 36 but not sure how these updates can be prevented or reverted.  Please keep us updated if you hear any more information about this.  Thx! 

Frank

Scorpex
Super Contributor.

Has anyone tried installing the new patch 02 to see if this fixes the issue?

Thanks!

Mig

Etienne_Canaud
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Scorpex,

I'm not aware of anything in 9.31.0002 to fix this issue, but hopefully there might be some fix into the next patch release. No commitment at this point, but HP is working on it.

Cheers,

Etienne.

Loc_Nguyen_PPM
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Frank,

Hope you are doing well.

I would like to let you know that "later" it not mean we can supported all later version. Actually when PPM 9.3 released Chrome 40.x hasn't been published, 36 or later means from version 36 to the version when PPM release. Not include all version after PPM 9.3.

Hope that the issue will be fix in the next release.

Regards,

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
alex-h
Super Contributor.

Hello,

I've found a workaround about this issue.

The root cause is located in RequestDetails.jsp (from Web browser point of view).

We have found on two location the same hidden input tag.

<input type=hidden name="REQUEST_ID" value="31416">

One occurence on top of this page and another one near the "Request no" field.

Chrome and Firefox are now unable to find the value of an input element if its name is duplicated in the same <form>.

After deep analysis : RequestDetails.jsp calls RequestDetailNew.jsp.

In RequestDetailNew.jsp source code,

I can easily find where the first input type is generated.

Since it's easy to comment a line in a jsp, I comment this line and make few tests.....

....and now Chrome and Firefox works again.

Our complete tests didn't reveal any trouble :

- SQL Rules are OK (and we use heavy tricks on our requests forms)

- UI Rules are OK

So we didn't see any side effect about removing the first <input type="hidden" name="REQUEST_ID"...>

For us, this pop-up issue is resolved and works for 9.31 and 9.30.

On 9.31 patch 2, RequestDetailNew.jsp is modified but apparently the first input tag is still here, so we suppose to see the same pop-up issue again.

PS : you will see also broken Validation pop-ups with Firefox and Chrome. To fix this, rename ipad.css to ipad_what_u_want.css.

So with customized RequestDetailNew.jsp and renamed ipad.css, we didn't see any problem, and we use both modifications on our production environment.

Kind regards,

Alex-H

Etienne_Canaud
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Alex,

Modifying the JSP files can be a dangerous operation. If the hidden component is located in two places, there may be a reason for it (though both elements having the same name is wrong, and as you found already is the root cause of this popup issue).

I'd rather advise you to try the attached troubleshooting hotfix - it may not be fully tested yet, but is the closest thing to what may go into next PPM version(s) as a fix for the browser compatibility issue.

Please note that this patch is in no way an official solution from HP R&D - use at your own risk.

If it doesn't work (or if it works!) please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

alex-h
Super Contributor.

Hello Etienne,

We have tried the edited FormatUtils.js you provided... and it works well !

Thank you very much !

Kind regards,

Alex.

ELGuidi
Frequent Contributor.

Hello Etienne,

We have tried the edited FormatUtils.js you provided... and it works well  in our development environment.  We will be doing more extensive testing.  We understand the warnings and would really like to get HP to approve this fix as soon as possible.  Moving this to production would make us uneasy until HP approves.

pepdwill
Honored Contributor.

Etienne -

Can that hotfix be deployed to a 9.2x version, or 9.3x only?  That might be a dumb question since I see 9.3x in the filename, but asking anyways.  :)

ELGuidi
Frequent Contributor.

Through our testing we have found only one nuisance bug.

We now have this fix in our production environment.

This occurs to some, but not all pop-up windows.

I stumbled upon this on a new  portlet test.

When selecting a filter for a pop-up window for an Auto Complete list.

If the right window is clicked to remove the ANY entry the following error occurs. 

LH: unknown element

ACItemListacDataSelectedIFrame.row.0 in list:

ACItemList.acDataSelectedIFrame

This is an alert that serves no purpose that we can discern.

function ListHighlighter_unhighlightItem(listId, elemId) {

var list = this.lists[listId];

if (list == undefined) {

alert('LH: unknown list: ' + listId);

}

var elem = document.getElementById(elemId);

if (elem == undefined) {

alert('LH: unknown element: ' + elemId + ' in list: ' + listId);

}

if (list.selectedElemId == elemId) {

elem.className = list.selectedOldClass;

list.selectedElemId = undefined;

list.selectedOldClass = undefined;

}

}

We have modified the following file to prevent the error from showing on the screen:

<PPM_HOME\server\<NODE>\deploy\dashboard.war\static\arch\js\ListHighlighter.js

We commented out the following:

if (elem == undefined) {

alert('LH: unknown element: ' + elemId + ' in list: ' + listId);

}

ELGuidi
Frequent Contributor.

These changes have been in our production environment for over a month.  We have had no complaints with either Google Chrome or Firefox.  it would be nice if HP were to test and certify this.