Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

PFM & Resource Mgt

Highlighted
erik_c
Respected Contributor.

PFM & Resource Mgt

Is anyone here using the full PFM functionality...the proposal > project > asset lifecycle including logging time against these objects in each phase? We would like to bounce some ideas around and see how others have implemented.

4 REPLIES
Cat_2
Super Contributor.

Re: PFM & Resource Mgt

We do proposal to project, but only log time against projects. Having different request IDs for associated proposals and projects confuses (and frustrates) people here so I imagine asking them to track time to both would be problematic. I'll be curious to see what others post about this.

Mark_Gerke
Valued Contributor.

We have proposals enabled, but very seldom used.  We track time against tasks on projects.  We do it at a task level so we can assign Activities and Accounting can use this information for Capitalizing time and using it for tax credits.

erik_c
Respected Contributor.

Cat & Mark, thanks for your input. We're just getting started here and will be tracking time against projects at the task level. We want to be able to log time to proposals & assets, but I've not done this in a post 7.x environment with the Financial Summary & it's implications.

I guess my questions are:

- Do labor actuals roll from proposals & assets into the FS?
- Do they roll into the associated staffing profile?

Cat, I agree that I don't find the value in having separate entities for proposal & project. It causes more confusion and limitation. Same with assets, as folks want to create some basic workplans to track actuals more granularly for their maintenance & support activities but assets cannot have workplans...?

Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi erik,

You could use staffing profile in asset to roll up actual which come from time sheets entering by resources against the asset. In asset request type, in "resources" section there is a check box about "All resources allocated in the staffing profile".

Is it answer your question?

Celil

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect