Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Null Error in Request List Portlet

Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Null Error in Request List Portlet

Strangely, quite a few of our end users have been suddenly experiencing "Null Pointer Error" sometimes along with Java error in thier existing out of the box Request List Portlet that they have been using for many months or many years in some cases. Most of the fields that seems to be affected are either numeric and currency or date validations. Most Recent Notes seems to be another that randomly gives the same error.

I have a ticket open with HP but haven't received any positive feedback from them yet.

Has anyone else had experience with similar erorr before or have any suggestions regarding the same ?

We are on 7.5 SP7 and Oracle 11gR2.

Thanks in advance.

-Raj

8 REPLIES
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Re: Null Error in Request List Portlet

Attachment again in .doc format.

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Raj,

Could you please send log file which contain portlet errors.

Celil

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Hello Celil,

Thanks for the response. The Serverlog file which seems to show the log during one of the User's such error experience is attached.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Raj

Abhi_Agrawal
Regular Collector

Is this happening with random requests? In my opinion, it looks like to be a data issue. Can you please check notes for req# 51484 and try dummy notes and see? It could be possbible that due to data issue funcation which is pulling most recent note have some data which is not conversible and might be given this Number format exception.

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Raj, Abhi right.

Abhi, could you please publish with how can we access notes?
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Abhi,

what do you mean when you say "try dummy Notes" ? Can you please elaborate.

By the way, I have other Custom Portelts that I have written myself which queires same requets and their Most Recent Notes values and they don't show any errors. Ony the Request List Portlet shows error and interestingly only the affected users notice the Error. As an admin. I am unable to replicate the same errors.

And interestingly, a few minutes ago, I received a word from HP Support saying that this is a bug in 7.5 version of PPM and is fixed in 8.0 on. I wished they elaborated more on that :-(

-Raj

Abhi_Agrawal
Regular Collector

In v7.5 SP7, there is a bug in OOTB Request List portlet that it truncate most recent notes and when you have corrupted/bad data then it gives Null Pointer error. That's why I asked you to add a dummy notes in the request and verify whether its data issue.
Nice to see that Hp support has finally confirmed this :)
Have a nice day.
Simone Di Somma
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Raj,

did you solved this issue? I have the very same problem with another customer using PPM 7.5.

Kind regards,
- Simone
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event