Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Notification to bulk email addresses entered in text area

Highlighted
Vinod Jadhav
Super Contributor.

Notification to bulk email addresses entered in text area

Hi,

We have defined a text area on the request form which needs to be filled with email addresses to which notification should go.

I have instruted users to enter email addresses in semicolon separated format. Users are following those instruction but notification is flying to only first email address mentioned in the text area. Ideally notification should fly to all the email addresses mentioned in the text area.

I am referring to token as 'User Defined custom token' in the notification tab, referred token as [REQD.VP.WHO_NOTIFY_BUG_APPLN] and Recipient type is Email address.

Any idea what am I doing wrong? Can't notification be sent to multiple email addresses?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Vinod
5 REPLIES
Semenov Alexand
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Notification to bulk email addresses entered in text area

As variant try use field with validation select users. name of token = Resipients.
After this set in notificationssettings this token as [req.p.Resipients]
Good Luck
Volker Schoettn
Honored Contributor.

Hi Vinod,

semicolon is the wrong separator.
You must use #@#

Regards
Volker
Vinod Jadhav
Super Contributor.

Thank you so much Volkar and Semenov for the replies.

As pointed out by Volkar, #@# works perfect. but I had instructed users to enter semicolon separated email addresses in the text area. This is due to the fact that not all users are part of ITG system. Hence I can not provide them auto complete list and ask them to select required email addresses.

As #@# is working, I though of writing a rule on field change of text area which will replace the semicolon with #@# and update data into new field. Later I will use that dummy field in notifications but field change event is not applicable to text area it seems. Hence can not write rule on field change of text area. Also, tried to write rule on field change of Request status and percent complete (I have defined % for each step) but it is also not working.

Any workaround? I do not want to ask users to enter email addresses in #@# separated format. Its not reasonable.

Please advise.

I am using ITG 6.0 SP17.

Thanks
Vinod

Marlene Mazzeo
Super Contributor.

Hi Vinod,

I know this is not what you are currently doing, but thought I would mention what we did when faced with the same type of situation.

We ended up adding users as Contacts that were not actual users of the system so that we could send emails to them. We added a link directly on the Request to create a new Contact (we have a request type that we created to allow people to enter Contacts) if the person/email does not exist.

Not sure of the volumne of users/contacts that would need to be entered, but this worked for us.
Vinod Jadhav
Super Contributor.

Hi Marlene,

Thank you for reply. Considering user volume, I would not do this. What I am thinking is - Since we send notification to email addresses of this text area from 5 places, I will write one function to pull the email addresses from text area, replace semicolon with #@# and send notification to this dummy token email addresses separated in #@# format. I will include this function before all the 5 execution steps where it sends notification. I think, this should work. What do you think?

Can you think of any other good alternative?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Vinod