Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

No. of references in notification

Highlighted
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

No. of references in notification

Hi,
does someone know a way to include the number of references (specifically attachments) of a request in a notification the request's workflow sends?
We have the description field (and others) in the notification and it quite often happens that users receive the notification and read its content and not opening the request in the system, therefore missing attachments.
Regards
Sascha
4 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: No. of references in notification

Hi Sascha,

I don't know of any tokens that would represent this, maybe others do? But maybe you could put a hidden field on your request type and use a 'before save' rule to populate it with the list of attachments from KNTA_REFERENCES...you could maybe even build them as links by creating html 'a' tags. (now that I am thinking about this, I will have to try it myself!)

Just an idea...
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Erik,
that would be an option of course, though I did not want to make modifications to the request type.
We have a field on the request type that contains a history for references that shows all changes users do in the reference section (add/modify/delete). It's already HTML and even contains links (screenshot). I wonder how this would look like in the notifications
Regards
Sascha
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well it's certainly do-able, I just did a little test (attached). If I were to implement this, I would probably create a database function like get_ref_urls(request_id) that would return a pretty list of formatted urls, or 'none' and call it at the right places to make sure the field is populated with updated data.
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Formatting an HTML email for display on more than one client is lovely. We should go back to plain text...
Anyway, I think we found an exaptable solution. I need to check a blackberry first, but cannot be worse than Notes (see attachment)
Thanks for your help!