The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New JSP File for Report

Highlighted
ChristineK
Super Collector

New JSP File for Report

Can someone please help me with the .jsp file for the new report I am trying to create?  I have attached what I have created in the workbench already but do NOT know how to create the jsp file.

Thank so much to everyone....this would help me out so much.

I need to start creating reports based on months not weeks!!!!

7 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: New JSP File for Report

If this report is supposed to be based off of another report, the easiest thing to do would be to copy the JSP of the original report and then modify that copy.  If this is a completely new report, you will need to create a new JSP file, but I would still start by copying another one to get the initialization stuff out of the way without having to recode it.  Based on what you've done in the Report Type, the JSP file will need to be in $PPM_HOME/server/<NODE>/deploy/itg.war/web/knta/tmg/rpt.  The JSP file will need to be in this directory under each node.

ChristineK
Super Collector

Hi Jason

This is for a completely new report.  I don't know anything about JSP files so if I where to copy an existing JSP file, I have no idea what I would modify.

I didn't know you needed to be a SQL developer in order to work PPM!!!!!!!!!

JHarris941
Regular Collector

Hello ChristineK,

What exactly do you need out of this jsp report? You will need a text editor to create the .jsp and you will need something like Filezilla to drag the .jsp onto the server. We use SVN to deploy our custom jsp reports, but you can use Filezilla as well. 

I highly recommend the text editor UltraEdit. It allows you to open .jsp saved on the PPM server that were created by HP. I would definely take Jason's angle and "reverse engineer" a out of the box report. JSP is a combination of CSS, HTML, and SQL. 

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

When I first started in PPM, I didn't know SQL, PL/SQL, or JSP, either.  The OOTB HP JSP files are good starting point for creating a new report, as they will have what I call the boiler plate code for making the connectiong to the PPM Database and getting the filter parameters from the Report. 

I would simplify the report down even more to say there are really two pieces that you need: SQL and JSP/HTML.  The JSP/HTML will be the framework for how you want the report to be displayed.  The SQL will be how you get that data.  One trick I've used, and this is especially useful if you need to be able to export to Excel, is to create the layout for the report in Excel and then save the file as an HTML file.  Use the standalone worksheet version that doesn't embed code for switching between tabs. 

Your baseline OOTB JSP file will have the pieces that will show you how to setup, call, and step through the results of your SQL statement.  It will also show you how to display the results within your HTML code so you get a nice HTML report with the data you need.

I know this is an overly simplified explanation, and it doesn't go into the detailed level of all the commands and codes that you will see in the JSP file, but it's a starting point.  To be honest, custom JSPs are not simple little tasks.  I've had a couple of assignments where my only assignment was creating or updating JSP reports.  I don't want to scare you away from trying to get this done, but I also don't want you to think that it's something so easy that a two year old can do it.

ChristineK
Super Collector

I am a little confused...so PPM gives the option to create custom reports but you can't write the jsp files so therefore you really can't create custom reports, you have to modify already existing reports.....is this correct???

I am trying to create a report that will give me a resources hours on a monthly bases (not weekly that PPM does currently).  The program I am on now captures hours monthly to report to the customer.

So if I use the Details Summary Report....how would I change my weekly time to monthly (1 Feb - 28 Feb)??

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

The OOTB time reporting will utilize the time periods that are used to submit time.  If you submit time weekly, the reports will also be weekly.  Many years ago, I modified the Actual Time Summary report to allow the users to select a start and end date for the report.  It was a painful endevor and I seem to have lost the VM image of the PPM image I initially did that development on, so I don't have it any more.  Of course, if you are looking for hours, that would be much easier to create than the Actual Time Summary that also displayed costs since that required reverse engineering the algorhythm that calculates the costs per day since the time sheets only store total costs by time period.

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

But to answer your first question, you can create custom JSPs, it's just easier to copy an existing one and modify it to what you need. I'm not a Java (or JSP) developer, so I can't just rattle off the code necessary to do a report from start to finish. Reusing code is much better than reinventing the wheel.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event