New Custom Validation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

New Custom Validation

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me any suggestion on how I can create a  new custom validation which only allows combination of two custom validations below.

I my case:

• I have one field with custom text validation (\A\BDDD) which only allows 'ABxxx' , where x = any no between 0-9
  • And a second field with another custom text validation (\E\FDDD) which allows 'EFxxx' , where x = any no between 0-9

But now, I am in need of a third field which can allow either 'ABxxx' OR 'EFxxx' and nothing else , kind of like combination of above two fields. 

Thanks in advance !

Thanks.

-Raj

6 REPLIES
d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Re: New Custom Validation

Hi Raj,

This is not possible using a field text custom valadation, I found simialar ER for this https://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/FID/DOCUMENTUM_QCCR1L35389.

The only workaround I can think is to use a custom auto complete list that contains all the possible combinations, but it will be a long list.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Dayana
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Dayana.  In that case, I guess I don't waste too much time on that front and simply use LLDDD for now then :-( 

Thanks for the update !

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

The OOTB capability to describe the format of a text field is very limited and only handles very simple cases. Much more complex formats can be checked with sql queries. We use the following in a rule to validate a value and place an error message into a read-only text field. This particular rule is used in a table component so we do not have the option to clear the bad value. That is an option available on a request field. The field is defined as Text - 4. Regular expressions can define almost any rules you can imagine.

select 'x',
decode(regexp_instr('[TE.VP.TRANSACTION_ID]',chr(91)||'^A-Z0-9$@#./-_%&?!:|=,;<>'||chr(93)),0,'','<!--HTML--> <b><font color="#B22222">Transaction ID contains invalid characters')
from dual

Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Jim .. smart solution !

Looks like your below query simply checks for unlimited A-Z characters in any number . This sure gets you what custom validation format LLDDD couldn't.  But would you have any suggestion on how I can actually validate for only 'ABxxx' and 'DExxx' ? The catch in my case is that I can only have the characters literally starting with either 'AB' or 'DE' and then followed by 3 single digit numbers.

In my case:

Valid: AB345, DE876

Invalid: ABD345, AB34

I actually tried last week to go sql valdiation this way.. just wasn't able to come up with correct query :-( ..

just don't want to go procedure route though..

Thanks.

-Raj

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Maybe try something like

select case when REGEXP_LIKE ('DE999', '^(AB|DE)[0-9]{3}$') then 'YES' else 'NO' End from dual

and replace the 'DE999' with some test string values, but I think it meets your condition...

Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Erik ! 

Looks interesting ...I will check this one out too .. it probably works as well . :-)

but I was working with one of our other Oracle Developer which seems to have passed a couple of testings I did a while ago.. :-)

SELECT case

when

REGEXP_SUBSTR('AB144','AB([[:digit:]]+){3,3}/?')isnotnullthen'Valid'

when

REGEXP_SUBSTR('AB144','DE([[:digit:]]+){3,3}/?')isnotnullthen'Valid'

else'Invalid '

end result

FROM dual;

Thanks again !!

-Raj

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event