The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Time Entry

Highlighted
Raka_1
Collector

Negative Time Entry

When I try to enter time I can enter negative time for a Day and if I keep on entering negative number then I get a negative total which can be checked by Min/Max Enforcement. But the thing is for one day i enter 8 hours and for the 2nd day I enter -8 hours this makes the total time as zero. I want to prevent users from entering negative time.
4 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Negative Time Entry

That's an interesting feature, though I would rather call it a bug. I'm happy my users did not find this out yet ;-)
Raka_1
Collector

Is there anything that can be done to avoid this.
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

This would likely be controlled by a time sheet policy, but there is no option to set a min value of 0.
There is no server.conf parameter to set such limitations. If the time sheet used a validation for the entry fields we could look for that and make sure it does only accept positive values. Numerical text fields do have this option of course.
I don't think it is a validation though, so I would call it a bug. HP maybe knows a situation where negative hours would make sense.
Do you have time sheet approvals? You could train the approvers to specifically check for negative hours.
Sachin M
Regular Collector

Hi Raka,

Negative time entry does make sense. We are allowing our users to put negative time to adjust the time if the time sheets are freeze or close. For example if you want to put some time in the task which is capital and your project manager approved the time sheet and later your billing manager freeze/close the time sheet. Now after the monthly/yearly/quarterly financial closure your manager want you to put the time in Expense task not in capital task then what will you do? Solution is put negative in capital task and positive in expense task this way you can adjust the time which was mistakenly entered in capital task.

Hope this will help.

Thanks,
Sachin
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event