Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Need a way for a few users to store Peoplesoft passwords in PPM (or using 3rd party tool)

Highlighted
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Need a way for a few users to store Peoplesoft passwords in PPM (or using 3rd party tool)

Hi

I have a workflow for Peoplesoft that requires several passwords when running commands (example below).  We had been using a peoplesoft plugin years ago, but it was discontinued in PPM.   We moved the password to a field on the User Data tab of the packages.  This has been working but (1) requires the user to enter the password every time they make a package line and (2) has thrown random errors like not being able to open the package afterwards etc.    I was wondering if anyone has run into a situation like this, or has successfully integrated with a third party tool like CyberArk to retrieve a password.   Obviously I have to be concerned about password encryption as well as it not showing up in the exec log.   I was going to have the users enter the passwords into an environment - app code - which seems to work.  However, they will need to do this from my PC in PPM PROD.  Any suggestions?   Thanks in advance....

pside.exe" -HIDE -PJC [PKGL.P.PS_PROJECT_NAME] -CT ORACLE -CD [SOURCE_ENV="[VP.P_DEVTEST_DEST]".DB_ORACLE_SID] -CO PS -CP "[ENV="HRS PS TEST".APP="[PKGL.APP_CODE]".SERVER_PASSWORD]" -TD [DEST_ENV="[VP.P_QV_DEST]".DB_ORACLE_SID] -TO PS -TP "[ENV="HRS PS QV".APP="[PKGL.APP_CODE]".SERVER_PASSWORD]" -LF [PKG.NUMBER]_[PKGL.SEQ]_copy.log

1 REPLY
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Need a way for a few users to store Peoplesoft passwords in PPM (or using 3rd party tool)

We keep passwords like this in environment and appcode entries. When they are used, they are masked in the log files. Maintenance is handled with a request type available to authorized users in a specific security group. The request encrypts the password on the target PPM instance by executing kEncrypt.sh and editing the output. The password is then inserted into the database with a sql script and the caches are flushed so the new value will be picked up.