Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Module Configuration for user groups

Highlighted
Sviatlana
Trusted Contributor.

Module Configuration for user groups

Hello,

we'd like to configure Dashboards for particular groups of users (e.g. Project Manager), however there is no way to make filters in the portlet parameters to be dynamic (thus configured only once at one place) - for example Assigned To / Project Manager = current user. This makes it impossible for administrator to set up dashboards for users, pushing Users to create their local pages with fixed preferences.
Is there a way to solve this situation? Our customer expects centrally pre-configured and managed pages for their user groups!

Thank you,
Svetlana
5 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Module Configuration for user groups

Hi,

You can use a token filter in your portlet SQL like

AND REQ.ASSIGNED_TO_USER_ID = [SYS.USER_ID]

to filter by the user who is viewing the portlet.
Sviatlana
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Erik,

I meant using out-of-the-box HP supplied portlets like Project List, Request List etc. which are read-only.
Does that mean I have to create new custom portlets each time? This way the pre-configured ones are totally useless...
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

There are a couple OOB ones that are filtered by default: My Tasks, My Requests, etc. But otherwise, yes you would need to create your own custom ones if you intend to keep the preferences locked down.
Sviatlana
Trusted Contributor.

This is what I was afraid of :)

Thank you for clarification.
Svetlana
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Svetlana,

There are only two options in PPM currently, unfortunately the much needed third option since several versions is not there yet.

As we know the two options are Shared and Private Dashboards.

In Shared dashboards you have centrally managed and pre-configured portlets, but no option of dynamic parameters.

In Private dashboards, users have the option to modify filters.

The third option that is missing is kind of best of both the above worlds (shared + dynamic) is missing. This will essentially require HP to create a 'Query Builder' option in the portlets also, so all the out-of-the-box portlets can be modified, as well add the ability for dynamic filters and lock them by making them Shared, so users cannot modify them. This should resolve lot of such issues and hopefully HP comes up with it sometime soon.