The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating workbench "Environments" between PPM environments?

Highlighted
thePITman
Super Collector

Migrating workbench "Environments" between PPM environments?

We have many non-Prod database and  server environments. I recently completed adding around 100 "Environments" in a development PPM Workbench environment. I am trying to migrate my changes from one non-Prod PPM environment to another. However, Environments are not in the list of migratable objects in PPM. Is there any way to export them from one environment and import them into another? Or do I have to re-enter them all? It was a pain entering them. Thank you.

3 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrating workbench "Environments" between PPM environments?

The workflow migrator has an option to migrate missing environments. Create a workflow and associate the desired environments to one or more steps on the workflow. After the migration, you can delete the workflow.

Hello thePITman,

I was looking in the Installation and Administration guide and the only information related with your question is the following:

"You migrate PPM Center entities in the same way that you perform any other deployment
management process. To prepare for the entity migration you do the following:
l Set up the environment definitions for your "QA" and "Production" instances.
l Configure a workflow that directs the migration process (necessary approvals, and an
automated execution step that specifies your "QA" and "Production" environments as source
and destination, respectively). After you perform these tasks, you can use HP Deployment Management packages to specify the entities to migrate. Create a package, specify your migration workflow, and add package lines
using the entity migratory object types for each PPM Center configuration entity that you want to
migrate" please check page357 (PPM 9.20) for more information.

I suggest try with the steps mention in the Admin guide. But as you said environments are not in the list of migratable objects in PPM.  I believe this a feature not supported by PPM.  Maybe there is a way to do it but is not mention in the PPM official documentation.

Also check the HP Deployment Management Configuration Guide, chapter 7.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Natalia Rojas.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

To expand on my earlier response, you could put all of your new environments in an environment group, then create a new workflow with a step using the environment group. Migrating this workflow with the flag set for including environments would build the environments in the destination instance.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event