Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Migrating a sub-workflow

Highlighted
Jim Bowen
Trusted Contributor.

Migrating a sub-workflow

Hi,

If I want to migrate a sub-workflow from one PPM environment to another, should I have to check the "Replace existing sub workflow?" box?

It appears that I do. (I'm in 7.1, sp6.) I thought this switch was ONLY to tell the migrator to migrate the current workflow's sub-workflows, but if I only want to migrate the current workflow (whether or not it's a sub-workflow), I don't need to check that box.

I don't remember having to check that box in the past. Am I just forgetting? Did something change? Did I uncover a bug?

Thanks for any input!
Jim
6 REPLIES
Sachin M
Respected Contributor.

Re: Migrating a sub-workflow

Hi Jim,

I guess the option "Replace exiting sub-workflow" is present for long time now i mean as i have worked with ITG 5.5 and ITG 6.0 of mercury this option was there. By chosing this option as "Yes" you are allowing PPM deployment process to replace the subwork flow of your destination instance.

If you choose this option as "No" means you do not want PPM deployment process to change any setting of your subworkflow which is already in destination instance.

Hope this will help.

Regards
SM
Jim Bowen
Trusted Contributor.

Allow me to re-phrase the situation.

Imagine two workflows - "A" and "B". "B" is a subworkflow of "A".

I have made changes to "B". No changes have been made to "A". I only want to migrate "B".

Should I have to check the "Replace existing sub workflow?" box to migrate "B" only?

Jim
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

I do not see an option for "Replace existing sub workflow?" in the reference copy of the object type in our 6.0 SP14 instances. I do see the field on our 7.5 instance, so I would assume it was added in 7.1.

The behavior you describe is inconsistent with the way similar fields work on other Object Types but it may be what was intended.
Sachin M
Respected Contributor.

Hi Jim,

No you do not need to check the box for this. You are just migrating 'B' which is the Subworkflow but it will be treated as a workflow for this migration. Since 'B' do not have any subworkflow associated with it you do not need to check the box again.

Regards
SM
Jim Bowen
Trusted Contributor.

Sachin,

Thanks - that is what I thought, too. However, I found it doesn't work that way - at least in my instances! I tried MANY times, and finally checked that box, and finally the migration happened. (All the other attempts looked successful when viewing the logs, but the changes simply did not make it to the target system!)

Jim
koya
Super Contributor.

This was newly added in 7.1 SP5. A check is added for sub-workflow. Here are the possibilities:

a) If you want to overwrite just the sub-workflow set the sub-workflow flag to Y and migrate it.
b) If you want to migrate a workflow and not migrate the sub-workflows you can do that too by setting Workflow flag to Y and sub-workflow flag to N.
c) If you want to migrate the workflow and the subworkflow then set the workflow and the subworkflow flags to Y.