Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Migrating Mercury IT Governance Version 6 to HP PPMC version 7.1

Highlighted
Tanina
Contributor.

Migrating Mercury IT Governance Version 6 to HP PPMC version 7.1

Hello,
Has anyone upgraded from Mercury IT Governance version6 to HP PPM Center version 7?

Did you create a clone of your current environment to test the upgrade process? Did you create a copy of the DB and install a new version 7.1 application tier? Or did you clone both DB and application tier and then did the upgrade?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Migrating Mercury IT Governance Version 6 to HP PPMC version 7.1

Hi Tanina,

Yes, we have upgraded from 6.0 to 7.1.

There are a couple of ways you may want to do it:

1. During our first time upgrade (and similar subsequent updrades on qa and production) we followed these steps - We backed-up the development instance application server and the database server and then upgraded the development instance. If it were to fail, then we would bring the backed-up app and db of dev and restore back the dev instance. Though this didn't happen and we continued on the dev instance successfully to complete our upgrade processes.

2. Other option is, as you mentioned, you can clone both the application server file system and the database, then modify the server.conf parameter to point to the cloned application new port numbers and to point to the cloned database. Then upgrade to 7.1.

Both the above two options are probably the easiest ones and probably standard approach for upgrades.
Ned Leonor
Frequent Contributor.

Hi there,

We are doing the same but we have the following specs:

ITG 6.0 - Oracle EBS 11.5.9 - 9.2.0.4 Oracle DB and Solaris 32.

To:
ITG 7.1 - Oracle EBS 12.0.4 - 10.2.0.2 and Solaris 64.

or, if feasible.
ITG 7.1 on Linux SLES 9 - Oracle EBS 12.0.4 - 10.2.0.2 on Solaris 64.

By the way, is Release 12 supported by ITG 7.1? Am still looking for that support matrix.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Ned Leonor,
Apps DBA, ILO in Geneva.

JackSmith_1
New Member.

I would also like you to inform about some more about IT Governance and Compliance
IT governance, risk and compliance (IT GRC) is about striking an appropriate balance between business reward and risk. The maturity of IT GRC practices for managing reward and risk has a direct impact on the organization. IT GRC encompasses the practices for delivering: Greater business value from IT strategy, investment and alignment, Significantly reduced business and financial risk from the use of IT, and Conformance with policies of the organization and its external legal and regulatory compliance mandates. IT GRC energizes the entire organization to imagine what it can achieve, establishes methods for achieving their objectives, and demonstrates the practices that are proven to work for minimizing business and financial risk. Fundamentally, IT GRC is about striking an appropriate balance between business reward and risk, enabling an organization to more effectively anticipate and manage business risk while more effectively delivering value for the organization. IT governance, risk, compliance, IT GRC, White paper, compliance survey report, 2008 compliance report. You can also get more information from http://www.compliancehome.com/symantec/
Marlene Mazzeo
Super Contributor.

Hi Tanina,

We just upgraded from 6.0 SP9 to 7.1 SP6 in April 2008.

I am not sure if you have additional environments, but we have a DEV, TEST, and PROD environment.

If you are using Project/Portfolio/Program Management, I highly recommend refreshing your PROD database into your other instances before performing the upgrade; that is what we did.

We had several Projects that were not linked to their Workplan, and several Workplans without a Project Request. This required a lot of clean-up in our Production instance prior to the upgrade.
Tanina
Contributor.

Thank you all for your replies.

We put this project on-hold earlier because we needed a version that was compatible with Windows Vista client. I'm back at it now because HP has certified PPM Center 7.1 with Windos Vista client in the last few weeks.

I'm in the research stage at the moment and would be most appreciative if you have any tips, comments, helpful docs you can send my way.

What we want to do is upgrade:
Database 9204 to 10204
E-Business 11.5.10 (CU2) RUP5 to RUP6
PPM Center version 6.0 to 7.1

What I'm hoping to do is:
1. Clone DB from an existing 10204
2. Clone the EBIS portion from an existing
11.5.10 (CU2) RUP6
3. I'm not sure what to do with the
PPM component. Should I do a fresh
install of the PPM schemas into the
new cloned environment and install a
new PPM 7.1 server and it's extensions?

How can I transfer the 6.0 PPM data and
configurations into the new 7.1 schemas?

Will this work? Or are the schemas
very different for import to work?

Thanks.
Nina

Tanina
Contributor.

Hi - this is for Ned Leonor.

Ned,
Are you done with your upgrade?
Would I be able to send you an email to ask a few question?

Thanks.
Nina