Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Migrate PPM server from windows to linux

Highlighted
danriz
Respected Contributor.

Migrate PPM server from windows to linux

Hello;
We are considering to migrate our server to linux.
Currently we have 3 nodes running with windows 2003 server. Firstl I am considering to add 4th server with linux. (Most probably redhat and most probably, Enterprise Linux Advanced Platform 5.0)

1) Can PPM cooperate with 3 windows and a linux platforms?

2) We have SSO authentication, that is a user pan directly login when typeing ppm and pressing enter in internet explorer. Can this configuration works on linux (I search internet I could not find an nonsolved issue but 4S company's consultants say it wont work)

3) We have a vbs calling Quality center to create test cases. I search internet and with wine and winetricks we can run VBS but again 4S consultants say that the VBS can not run. But we can replace VBS with shell script. isnt it?

4) Do you have an suggestion for migrating linux from Windows?

Thaks

3 REPLIES
mike_se
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Migrate PPM server from windows to linux

Hi,

Below are some thoughts on your questions.

-Mike

1) Can PPM cooperate with 3 windows and a linux platforms?

It may be possible, though might get tricky when sharing log files, reports, and things of this nature due to the path syntax being different. Have never heard of such a mixed environment. Would want to test it in a STAGE environment if absolutely have to have this kind of mix OS setup.

2) We have SSO authentication, that is a user pan directly login when typeing ppm and pressing enter in internet explorer. Can this configuration works on linux (I search internet I could not find an nonsolved issue but 4S company's consultants say it wont work)

If using IE with IIS to do the authentication, then the IIS will pass the username to PPM in the http header. See Page 198 of the 9.1 Install/Admin Guide. So as long as PPM gets the proper http header information, that should work I believe.

3) We have a vbs calling Quality center to create test cases. I search internet and with wine and winetricks we can run VBS but again 4S consultants say that the VBS can not run. But we can replace VBS with shell script. isnt it?

Not sure about this one. Sounds like a customization. There is the Solutions Integration Guide on the Manuals site about the out-of-the-box integration with QC. If doing a custom setup, may want to inquire to hire the HP Professional Services Organization for assistance.

4) Do you have an suggestion for migrating linux from Windows?

PPM does not know if a system is UNIX or Windows. The code is the same. That is why the UNIX Emulator Cygwin is needed on a Windows box. So the migration from Windows to a UNIX box is pretty simple as it is just copying the file system over to the new machine and changing the necessary parameters in the server.conf file using the kConfig.sh file (or can be done manually and running the kUpdateHtml.sh file).

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I will also provide my thoughts:

1. No. You should never mix the operating system in a PPM insurance.

2. Natively, PPM SSO will only work with IIS. You can install PPM on Linux and keep the IIS web server on Windows.
If you want to completely give up Windows, then you have to buy a third party SSO, which I would not recommend if your company does not have already acquired such a solution.

3. Definitely you can replace the vbs script with a bash shell script.

4. Actually, there is a server.conf parameter, SERVER_TYPE_CODE, which specifies if the operating system is Windows or a Unix flavor.

In the past I have easily migrated PPM from Windows to Linux and the other way around using only filesystem copy and manual updates of the server.conf file.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

One more thing: if you're using commands which access the filesystem, such as running external commands, you will need to update them on order to use the Linux style for paths. It is a good practice to duplicate the command and mention the condition based on the SERVER_TYPE_CODE parameter specified above.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem