Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum allowed references for a request

Highlighted
pravins
Occasional Advisor

Maximum allowed references for a request

Hi,

We have a requirement where one Request can have a lot of references of type "Related to this project". These references will NOT be attachments.

Wanted to know:

1. What is the maximum number of references that can be added to a request?

2. Will adding a lot of references cause performance bottle-necks in long run?

3. What is HP recommened maximum number of references?

Please help with information on the above.

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Re: Maximum allowed references for a request

Hum... Very strange question.

1. What is the maximum number of references that can be added to a request? - As such there is NO such thing as maximum number. From PPM side you can add any number of references.

2. Will adding a lot of references cause performance bottle-necks in long run? - Will the references be requests or project? As long as you have the sizing estimation done by HP Support, I don't think there will be too much impact. But 'lot' of references does not say anything.... it may be 100 or a million... So unless you test the scenario... It is hard to predict.

3. What is HP recommened maximum number of references? - No one asked this question.... I searched the old cases, it was not there... AFAIK, Actually for every reference, PPM adds a row in the reference table... As such there will not be any limitation on that.

Hope I answered the question, Let me know if you need additional clarification.

Regards,
Mahendran M
pravins
Occasional Advisor

Re: Maximum allowed references for a request

Thanks for the response

2. Will adding a lot of references cause performance bottle-necks in long run? - Will the references be requests or project? As long as you have the sizing estimation done by HP Support, I don't think there will be too much impact. But 'lot' of references does not say anything.... it may be 100 or a million... So unless you test the scenario... It is hard to predict.

In our case we are adding request references to another request. And the number of references per request will not be more than a few hundred (400 maximum). Does this seem to be causing problems in long run?

3. What is HP recommened maximum number of references? - No one asked this question.... I searched the old cases, it was not there... AFAIK, Actually for every reference, PPM adds a row in the reference table... As such there will not be any limitation on that.

Yeah, since only a row gets added, I am not much worried. But still want to confirm from experts on this forum.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event