Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing operating activities

Highlighted
AlekseyG
Regular Collector

Managing operating activities

Hello! 

I'm trying to find the best way to organize and manage non-project (operating) activities to include it into resource load. 

I consider the following alternatives: 

1.        Create special project type with tasks representing operating activities. 

2.        Create special request type representing workload. 

3.        Add resources to special resource pool with appropriate participation %. 

4.        Maybe some other ways… 

Which way is used in your company? Pros/Contras? 

Thanks in advance! 

3 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: Managing operating activities

Hi,

We're actually using a combination of all three of those. I think the biggest considerations are (1) what level you want to forecast the resources at, and (2) what level you need to track time at.

In IT department:

Some resources are only 50% allocated to activities that we track, so we set them to 50% participation.

We use projects to represent enhancement work...each project is for a fiscal year and a business unit. Resource forecasting is done at that level (staffing profile) but time is tracked to the individual enhancements (tasks).

We use assets for the remaining operating activities (each asset is for each application, more-or-less), but this can be limiting if you need more detailed forecasting or actuals tracking. And if you use the scenario planning features, it can be hard to fiddle with 500+ assets.

AlekseyG
Regular Collector

Hi, Erik!

Thanks for your answer.

One of the points is that I want operating workload (defined by request) to decrease resource capacity in Analyze Assignment Load Portlet (and it's breakdown).

But even when I mark request as workload and add resources in a special section of it i can't see this workload in the Resource Load Breakdown (but it's presented in Resource Gantt Chart).

Don't you know what the reason is? Maybe this request must me set as asset?

Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Sorry, that's one peice that we're not using...all of our load is on staffing profiles. But as far as I know, it should include those requests. What version are you using?

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event