Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Making a field Visible/Invisible/Mandatory depending on selected value in a multi-select field

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Making a field Visible/Invisible/Mandatory depending on selected value in a multi-select field

Hi,

I have a validation field with multi-select enabled.
I need to find out if a particular value is contained in the selected list.
Depending on the value in the selected list, I would like to make some decision
such as, making some fields visible/invisible/Mandatory.
I thought I could solve with triggering another rule in a rule, but didn't work.

Any help is appreciated
Regards
TM
8 REPLIES
Dale Colliver
Super Contributor.

Re: Making a field Visible/Invisible/Mandatory depending on selected value in a multi-select field

If you are selecting multiple values for the field as a depandancy in the rule that could be the problem. It seems to be applying a boolean AND between the multiple values. I have gotten around this by repeating the field multiple times in the dependancy with a NOT EQUAL TO for each of the other values. i.e. if the valid values are A, B, C, D, E and I want to trigger if the value is A or B then I list the field 3 times and test for <> C, <> D and <> E. It is messy. It would be nice if the available test included IN or NOT IN when multiple values are listed.
Manas Bagde
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Making a field Visible/Invisible/Mandatory depending on selected value in a multi-select field

I think you can acheive this using UI rules.
TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Manas Bagde,
But how?
Any recommendation is welcome.

Regards
TM
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Triggering another rule in a rule is called cascading by HP and does not work. This is unfortunate because it would provide a lot of functionality not currently available.

The only way we have been able to do this is with the setup we used with 6.0, before UI rules were available. The field is defined as visible and required, and the rule populates the field with a default value like 'N/A' if the specific value is included in the list. Having UI rules that could do this would be better but this does work.
TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Jim,

I am not very good at PPM.
sorry, but I can not follow you :( .
I wonder if you could be able to depict.
Thanks again
Regards
TM
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

We have a rule that triggers on a change to a multiselect field and searches for a value of Other in the value list. If not found, it sets a value of N/A in another field. If found, it clears the other field. The SQL for the rule looks like:

select decode(instr('[REQD.VP.SOURCE_FIELD]','Other'),0,'N/A',''),
decode(instr('[REQD.VP.SOURCE_FIELD]','Other'),0,'N/A','')
from dual
TurboMan
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Jim,

I am quite familiar with Rules.
Can I use this soluton together with UI rules?
Because, your suggestion only applies to SQL.
The point is how to decide which field to make visible/invisible?
I hope it is a bit clearer.

Regards
TM
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

As I stated, we have found no way to do this with UI rules and have resorted to using the solution we used with 6.0 before UI rules were available when dealing with a multi-select field.