cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a work plan mandatory at a specific workflow step

Highlighted
MaxH

Make a work plan mandatory at a specific workflow step

Is there a way to make a work plan mandatory at a workflow step? I’ve searched the forums high and low, reviewed the Project User’s Guide and Configuration Guide and can’t find a way to do this. We have a need to make the work plan mandated at a specific workflow step based on a dependency, but since the work plan is not a field there's no way to create a rule. 

4 REPLIES
Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Re: Make a work plan mandatory at a specific workflow step

Currently there is now direct way to do this, but you can implement it by.

1. If your workplan mandatory conditions are met, then direct the workflow transition to execution  step which create a workplan automatically. You can you create workplan command.

2. Or you can show error message to users and don't allow them to proceed if the workplan conditions are met. You can use UI rules to implement the same.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi,

we implemented something similar to Utkarsh's post (we had the same idea :) ) and hte problem is that the message still appears even if you have uploaded a work plan until you move to the next step...

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Niraj Prabhu
Frequent Visitor

Alex,

I think you have the message display on the status of the project. You can include a condition to check for workplan being available in the same rule where you are populating the message. You might want to use SQL rule instead of UI rule and use a field to show the message instead of a pop-up.
Niraj P.
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Hi, Niraj,

your suggestion is good, but I am afraid that a field will not be obvious enough for the end user - especially since HP no longer renders HTML code stored in a field...

I am currently investigating another option: to have a DB trigger on the PM_WORK_PLANS table which would clear the error field that I am currently using - I'll keep you posted.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event