MSP 2003 to HP PPM - Migration tool

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
MSP_HP_User
Contributor.

MSP 2003 to HP PPM - Migration tool

Hi,

We are using MS Project(MSP) 2003 for our Project Management and Timesheet. We would like to move from MSP to HP PPM 9.12.

Please let me know if is there any tool to convert the MSP data to HP PPM.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: MSP 2003 to HP PPM - Migration tool

Hi user,

I'm not quite sure how to help you on this one. Basically, the safest would be to migrate the data via the MSP plugin that comes with PPM Center. However, I'm not sure which PPM-version you are using, as the latest versions don'T support the MSP 2003 plugin anymore. If you CAN use it, then create projects for the workplans that you want to migrate and use the plugin to upload the workplan.

Someone else may have an easier and quicker approach.

Best regards,

Dirk

- Kudos always welcome -

MSP_HP_User
Contributor.

Thanks for your reply. We will use HP PPM 9.12. Please let me know whether this version supports the MSP 2003 plugin.

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi,

it seems that I was mistaken.

The release notes of 9.12 state a limitation on page 239 that indicates that Office 2k3 is still supported.

PROBLEM If you are using the Plug-in for PPM, Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies
(PIA) for Microsoft Project must be installed. (QCCR1L39188)
WORKAROUND Install one of the following versions of Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies
(PIA) for Microsoft Project:
 Version 2003 for Microsoft Project 2003
 Version 2007 for Microsoft Project 2007
 Version 2010 for Microsoft Project 2010

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dirk

- Kudos always welcome -

Etienne_Canaud
HPE Expert

Hi,

I confirm that there is no problem with using MSP 2003 with PPM 9.12.

(On a related note, the PIAs libraries are automatically installed with the plugin starting with PPM 9.13.).

To import a work plan from MSP to PPM, simply install the MSP Plugin and send the projects you want from MSP to PPM Projects without a work plan (Menu "HP PPM Center / Send Work Plan to PPM Center").

Note that the user connecting in MSP Plugin must have proper access in PPM to the projects to migrate data to (Project Manager will be fine), or else they won't be able to pick up the project in the list of projects without a work plan. Also, in order to correctly map MSP resources with PPM resources you must have the proper resources already added to the staffing profile of the project (or be in a resource pool managed by the user logged in the MSP Plugin).

Thanks,

Etienne.

MSP_HP_User
Contributor.

Thanks Dirk & Etienne .