Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Looking for feedback on anyone using Demand, Deploy, as well as Project and Time modules

Highlighted
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Looking for feedback on anyone using Demand, Deploy, as well as Project and Time modules

We are currently running PPM 9.12 on a single Windows server.   We have been using Demand and Deploy modules only (we use PPM for code deployments).   We are migrating to a new PPM 9.14 Linux clustered (4 node) environment very soon.    We have an aggressive schedule and will be adding on Project as well as Time Management.  I was hoping for some feedback from anyone running all these modules together.   How is it working out?  Challenges?  Issues?   My concern is if we are putting too many eggs in one basket even though the tool is designed to work this way.   PPM has been stable for us over the years.  Most of our issues are encountered as we install upgrades or patches, as commands or tokens may change which negatively impacts our deployment processes.  We have been able to correct all these minor issues as we run into them.   As we add Project and Time Management licenses, PPM becomes critical to more and more departments.   It will become vital for project managers and billing, in addition to developers trying to move their code.   I was hoping to hear from others on how this has worked, including any challenges.  We have partnered with HP to assist us, but I would like to hear from others on the forum that have this implemented at their organizations.  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES
Oscar_Pereira
Honored Contributor.

Re: Looking for feedback on anyone using Demand, Deploy, as well as Project and Time modules

Definitely a heavy agenda,

PPM 9.1 releases are very stable in Time Management area. I haven’t seen any performance or relevant defect for TM in a while. In general adding TM piece should not give you any trouble.

Project Management module becomes a challenge when there is old data coming from previous mayor versions (7.5, 8.0).  As this is a new Project Management implementation, this may not give you any trouble on regards data corruption.

Sounds like you got the environment sizing ready, which is a good start.

I think Performance tuning will be the challenge, even when having the desired architecture, some PPM settings will need to be adjusted depending on your performance testing results once you get all the modules together.

What is the oracle version?  Will you be upgrading the database version too?

If the oracle performance has being stable for a while, I would rather keep the same version….**

Just a tip of Dashboard performance:

Adding PM and TM modules, will also bring new portlets for end users. I recommend keeping a BLANK landing page after end users login page. This means: Instead of having an initial dashboard page full of PM, DM, TM portlets, keep a blank initial page for most of the users (Probably some PM Managers will demand to have their portlets in their initial page), this helps the overall performance and avoids opening unnecessary dashboard connections. If a regular user needs to see their portlets, then they can just open their specific page when needed.  

***I understand that the above recommendation may not fit every company requirement but as this is a new implementation, this could be a good practice to improve overall performance.

Dashboard performance is always a concern, regardless the PPM version.

Regards

Oscar P

bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Re: Looking for feedback on anyone using Demand, Deploy, as well as Project and Time modules

Thanks for the tip about the dashboard.  I will add that to our list.   We typically try to keep those blank, because PPM needs to populate them when loaded.  So performance can be an issue there.    So its common to find PPM installations running project, portfolio, time, demand and deploy?    We are heavy on the deploy at the present time running about 25-30 pkg and 10 requests per day.  ~ 80 workflows, 800 users. 

We are running Oracle 11.1.   

Oscar_Pereira
Honored Contributor.

Majority of PPM environments will have all modules, but using the deployment piece just for regular PPM entities migrations.  (Low impact migrations, very few packages per week)

For the above category, it’s common to find huge Demand Management implementations

I would say that heavy usage Deployment management (Migrating code, custom objects, apps integrations), plus having the rest of the modules, is less common.   

Regards

Oscar P