Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Long-time users - do you archive log files?

Highlighted
Jim Bowen
Trusted Contributor.

Long-time users - do you archive log files?

Hi,

PPM has been used here for 5+ years. We ran into a problem yesterday where the product could no longer create subfolders in the /logs folder. It turns out that there is a hard system limit (maybe on all UNIX systems?) that prevents any folder from having 100,000 sub-folders.

I had to quickly archive a bunch of our oldest folders and move them out of the way.

Has anyone else run into this? If so, how did you handle it?

One thing we have discussed is creating a new /logs folder annually (logs_2009, logs_2010, etc.) and changing the config file to point to the new folder each year.

Would that work? I don't know how the system points to these logs...would links in packages from last year still be able to find their log files if we used such a scheme?

One more question - does anyone know where in the database the pointers to the log files exist?

Thanks!
Jim
2 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Long-time users - do you archive log files?

Wow - that's a lot of logs. We only keep a month's worth.
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Long-time users - do you archive log files?

We hit this limit last year. The 100,000 subdirectory limit is apparently a firm limit on the NAS servers we use for these directories. The limit may be lower in some local UNIX file systems.

We run a script monthly that finds all requests and packages that have been closed for at least 3 months and zips log files into a single archive file for that request or package. The logs are retained for audits. The limit applies to subdirectories only, so a zip file does not count against the limit.

Since the log directory structure is set up in a predefined pattern, my guess is that PPM can fabricate the links it needs from the information in its tables and does not need to save each link. I doubt they are stored anywhere. And I doubt that if the files are moved somewhere else that they could be accessed through PPM without manual intervention.