The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking custom request type with workflow

Highlighted
sam.greg

Linking custom request type with workflow

Hi all,

I have created a custom request type, added/edited new fields in 'Request Types' and 'Request Header' section. I have also copied an existing
workflow (plan is to use this for the newly created request type). However, am not sure how to link this workflow with newly added request.

Any document where I could see this? or any steps if you have any.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam.
8 REPLIES
sam.greg

Re: Linking custom request type with workflow

Additionally, how to add new steps in this workflow?

I am an admin with All Grants. But still am not able to see an option to do the same.

Please let me know.

Regards,
shygirl
Regular Collector

Hi Sam,

For linking the request type to a workflow, you can create a rule in the request type with rule event "Apply on Creation" and rule type as advance default. In the SQL, you can give

SELECT WORKFLOW_ID, WORKFLOW_NAME FROM KWFL_WORKFLOWS WF WHERE WF.WORKFLOW_NAME = 'My Workflow'

in the result, make sure you are giving the to token name of the workflow field.
shygirl
Regular Collector

To add step in the workflow, you can drag steps you want to add from workflow step sources to layout tab of your newly created workflow.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Yep, You can see the 'Workflow Step Sources' if you restore your WF Layout window.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Why use a rule with Advanced Defaults and a sql statement when a rule with Simple Defaults lets you set the workflow?

Yes, I agree with Jim too!

Attached are the steps on how to use a rule to set a workflow.

- Nisha Kurien
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

If you have a RT and only the WF Rule, Then you can use Simple defaults.

If you have the rule which has all the rule type as 'Simple defaults' then there is no issue.

When ever you change advanced defaults to simple defaults or vice versa, you will get a warning.

I am not sure about the impact of having both the rule type in a single RT, but I have been taught to have similar Rule Type for a Request type and most preferably Advanced Defaults for all the rules.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

All of our requests have simple and advanced rules. Probably the only simple rule we have used is to set the workflow and it is set on creation. None of our requests use more than one workflow. We have never had a problem with setup. We use release 6.0 and are upgrading to 7.5. I have no idea how this might have worked before 6.0.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event