Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Link between workflow and work plan

Highlighted
B Swanson
Super Contributor.

Link between workflow and work plan

Hello,

Does anyone know of a way to automatically link workplan tasks with the workflow?

For example, if there is a "Code Review" task in the workplan, and there is a "Code Review" step in the workflow - can we automatically update the completion date on the workplan task when the workflow step is complete?

Hope that makes sense!
8 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Link between workflow and work plan

The only way that I can think right off the top of my head, since the tool doesn't offer that kind of linkage, would be to have an execution step immediately after the decision step to update the task information. This would also mean that the workplan would have to have specific tasks names so that the execution step can find the proper step to update.

Jason
B Swanson
Super Contributor.

I was wondering if something like that would work... would the tool know to perfom the routines to complete the task though? In other words... would the following task then become active?

Anyone know of any built-in functions to complete a specific task?
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

I haven't personally tried it, so I don't know what caveats await in making sure it will work. The first thing I would probably try is looking for any OOTB functions that they may use for updating dependent tasks, and probably just going into a test plan and manually update the task to see what happens.
Vasily Aksenov
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi
can not help you but want to say that we also need this option.
May be HP labs read this forum and make some notes.
rgs, Vasily
ChrisJH_1
Trusted Contributor.

Rumor has it this link will be available OOTB in PPM 7.5...
Jayant Gupta
Trusted Contributor.

even we need a similar solution. i have a workflow(request) and i want it to get updated(i.e. move to next step) after a step is successfully completed in a different workflow.
Jayant Gupta
Trusted Contributor.

even we need a similar solution. i have a workflow(request) and i want it to get updated(i.e. move to next step) after a step is successfully completed in a different workflow. is it possible to implement such kind of functionality in the PPM 7.1 tool?
Thanks in advance
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

What ever functionality can be made to work in 7.1 would also need to be done in 7.5. I just went through the What's New document for 7.5 and there's no mention of linking the Workplan to the Workflow in there.