Did you mean: 

Leaving decision step when 1 votes No

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Derek Giedd
Frequent Visitor

Leaving decision step when 1 votes No

I am trying to figure out how to have a decision step that waits for everyone to vote yes, but if one person votes no, it stops waiting and goes to a different step. If I use polling, it waits until everyone votes, but I do not want to wait if I know it will fail. Is there a way to configure this?
-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
12 REPLIES
Semenov Alexand
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leaving decision step when 1 votes No

Hi. Try use tranzition as "Specific effor" as "No concensus". May time ago i use this.
May be it help you!
Derek Giedd
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, but that is the first thing I tried. This result still causes the workflow to wait until all have responded.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor
Solution

If there are 4 different people of 4 different team needs to take action, Keep 4 different decision step and in these decision steps keep different security groups and these 4 are combined with a conditional 'AND' step.

And a single 'No' have a different routue.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

I am running into similar issue. The Problem here is I can't keep them into seperate Groups as they are a part of a Review Group and everyone in Review group(membership keeps changing on quarterly basis) either needs to Approve or Abstain for the Request to move forward BUT if anyone Clicks "Disapproved" or Clicks "Requires Changes", the Request needs to route Back.
- Raj
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Derek,
Were you able to figure anything out regarding this ? We are facing a similar situation where we CAN NOT use multiple Decision steps. Would you mind sharing how you proceeded with your schenario ?
Thanks in advance.
- Raj
Derek Giedd
Frequent Visitor

I am still working on this. I am working on an expansion of Mahen's idea by creating an execution step that counts the number of security group members and then use that to decide which steps to go to in the workflow. But I am having trouble figuring out how to use the number of group members as a valid validation for the workflow.
Derek Giedd
Frequent Visitor

I have this working now. I am attaching a document that illustrates how I got this to work. I hope this helps others trying to do this. Let me know if I did not include everything needed or if you have any questions.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Glad that this worked.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

I've a Question.... Suppose if your execution count(*) returns only one user, then the control will go only to step 1 '1st Approval', It will not go to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th decision steps at all.

There will be no option to to 'Approve' from 2nd, 3rd and 4th decision steps, So AND condition will never be satisfied and you can never acheive success.

Please advice if I am missing anything here.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Derek Giedd
Frequent Visitor

Mahen,

Thanks for catching that. You are correct. I posted this too soon. I have updated the attachment with a workflow for the sub-process that fixes this problem. It is a little more complicated, but it seems to work.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Great, I hope it will work, Please do all negative test cases before implementing.

Suppose if you want 1st and 4th approver alone to approve & 2nd and 3rd approver need not appove this, then how will you handle that?

If the case which I told is not needed in you requirement, then no issues

Regards,
~ Mahen

Regards,
Mahendran M
Derek Giedd
Frequent Visitor

It seems to be working good. Since everyone in the Security Group votes, I do not have an issue with some users not voting. The only possible issue I can see is if someone's account is disabled, I must make sure I remove them from the Security Group. Otherwise they may still show as an approver.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event