cancel

Items disappearing after sorting request list

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Calvin KS Cheun
Valued Contributor.

Items disappearing after sorting request list

I'm having an issue with items disappearing after sorting. For example, there is a list of 9 items with the same date, after I sort the date column, I navigate to the page with that date range, I only see 8 of those items. However if I export the whole list to Excel, I see all 9 items in the right order.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
6 REPLIES
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Items disappearing after sorting request list

Is the 9th row anyway different from the rest of the rows? can you share the input parameters to that Portlet?

Regards,
Mahendran M
Calvin KS Cheun
Valued Contributor.

Not that I know of. I already tried going to the database backend directly using an Oracle Client (Toad) to see the database directly, I don't notice anything unusual about that.

Another thing I notice is, because the portlet has multiple pages, if I flip through the pages back and forth the item occasionally appears. However if I sort by request number it appears always. And again it always appear in the Excel export.

What information specifically do you need to know about the portlet? The portlet only filters by one text field.
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Is this list being generated with a portlet? Are there more entries in the database that meet the search criteria than are allowed for a portlet? The limit is configured in server.conf and OOTB is set to 200. Oracle seems to behave somewhat randomly on which rows are returned when the maximum number of rows is exceeded.
Calvin KS Cheun
Valued Contributor.

Yes, it's a portlet. It's generated using the standard Request List portlet definition.
Mahen M
Acclaimed Contributor.

I have not seen this error before, We don't have any great options to debug the OOTB Portlets.

Kindly enable the JDBC Logging in the Debug settings, After that run the portlet, As soon as you get the output in the portlet, Disable the JDBC Logging.

In the log file try to extract the Query which is fired, Please see whether you get any leads there.... 'Order by' clause must be the key...

Regards,
Mahendran M
Calvin KS Cheun
Valued Contributor.

Actually I tried Jim's suggestion, and added extra criteria filtering on the portlet, brought the total items under 200. Right now it looks like it's OK. Thanks for all your help.