Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

It's possible to execute apps in other servers and O.S?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
AlfredoMonasi
Honored Contributor.

It's possible to execute apps in other servers and O.S?

Hi guys,

I have a client thats has PPM on a non Windows environment but needs to create a PDF with data of PPM, so I'm thinking of dooing some programming with .Net and send a mail with the attach. But I have doubts if a PPM execution will be able to run a command prompt app on other server and operating system.

It is possible? If yes what considerations I should have?

Regards

Alfredo

4 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: It's possible to execute apps in other servers and O.S?

In order to run commands on a Windows server, we installed Cygwin on that server. Any Windows executable that can be executed with a command line can be run this way. We are running PPM on AIX.

AlfredoMonasi
Honored Contributor.

Hi Jim,

And you just call it like this sh /server_name/folder_name/app -param1 ? or there is another way to call the app?

The folder where the app will be needs a special permission in the shared preferences? or the user that PPM uses in order to access to that specific folder?

Regards

Alfredo

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

You will use one of the ksc_connect_xxx commands to connect to the Windows server. You will specify the id and password used to connect to the server in an environment definition. The id used to connect will need execute access to the commands to be executed.

When you connect in this way, you are connected to a Unix emulator and Unix syntax can be used. The commands that are executed, though, may understand only Windows syntax and conventions. For instance, a parameter that specifies a file may need to be in Windows format. Cygwin can translate a Unix style path to the Windows style with something like this:

WPATH="$(cygpath -a -w [DEST_ENV.ENV.CLIENT_BASE_PATH]/[P.P_SUB_PATH]/[P.P_FILENAME])"

Sometimes it is useful to initiate a Windows script with the cscript.exe command. We have used this to execute vbs scripts.

AlfredoMonasi
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Jim,

I will try it and let you know!