Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Issue with stopping PPM Server(windows)

Highlighted
itgppm
Regular Contributor.

Issue with stopping PPM Server(windows)

One of my client sysadmin have noticed that once he stop the system service for the PPM instance, there are threads still active that prevent from deleting the TMP and WORK folders .Seems the problem is, java.exe is supposed to be a subprocess, but it appears there are times when it can separate itself from its parent and it does not get killed .So in order to start server again he has to manually kill that java process or reboot system . What I am interested is to know that why is java process keep existing even after starting stopping services .PPM version is 7.5 .Have any of you encountered similar issue .Could you please give me some idea about the root cause .
7 REPLIES
Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Issue with stopping PPM Server(windows)

Hi itgppm,

1) First of all your client sysadmin know how ppm server stop? Maybe sysadmin forget a parameter like "-now".

"./kStop.sh -now -admin"

2) You don't have to reboot system to restart PPM application server. Just kill java process.

3) Java doesn't treat like this. When you run "java sth.java" command this isn't branching java subprocess. There isn't any standalone java process. When you run "java sth.java" command, NT Kernel load java process than java process run sth.java program.

Cheers,
Celil
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
itgppm
Regular Contributor.

Hello Celil ,

Thanks for your reply .

My mistake . I will rephrase my question again .

My sysadmin stops ITG by stopping windows services not kStop.sh .

Now my question is why did java process keep on existing even after stopping services . It stays for infinite time unless you kill that . Could you please help me with the root cause for java process and if there is any way we can ensure that it does not keep on existing even after we stop service. We are on windows and they are using ksvc for starting stopping PPM service .
Celil
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi itgppm,
Hava a nice day.

Root cause is; if you kill the service normal way, java program hook remaining. And it calls themself again (ref:java.com). Your way to kill service (ksvc remove) seems doesn't remove hook mechanism but there is a lot way.

So why don't you change your stop/start ppm service method ? To kill ppm service with java process you can use these commands:

Linux:
kill -9 pidno

Windows WMI Console:
wmic Path win32_process Where "Caption Like '%java.exe%'" Call Terminate

Windows/Linux:
kStop.sh -now -user admin

Windows 2003 Server:
taskkill /PID pidno /F

If there is any other constraints and tell me them I can try to find alternative solution.

Cheers
Celil
Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
ljokirk
Super Contributor.

We've had a similar situation happen to us. We use v7.5 and don't use a clustered environment. Typically, we don't use the scripts to stop/start the PPM Server Service. We do it through the Services area.

What I've found to work to successfully stop java.exe is to stop the Computer Browser Service and then the PPM Server Service. I don't know why this works, but it does. Also, it may take a few minutes for java.exe to go away.
itgppm
Regular Contributor.

You mean to Stop Computer Browser Service or to restart . Is it recommended to stop it?
Regards
ljokirk
Super Contributor.

Whenever I need to stop the PPM Server Service, I stop the Computer Browser Service first. Before I start the PPM Server Service again, then I start the Computer Browser Service. I never did try to restart the Computer Browser Service.

Lisa
Surendra Poosar
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

How are you starting the HP PPM app? thru service or command line?

We have our HP PPM instance hosted on Windows too. The Service uses the following command to start/stop the HP PPM application.

"F:\Kintana\bin\ksvc.exe" service "KTND" -kh "F:\Kintana" -jh "E:\Java\jdk1.6.0_07"

You can see the command in the path to executable folder on the service properties.

We do not face any issues while using the services and the java process is killed when we stop the service(It takes approx 5-10 minutes).

For your case..my thought would be check the java versions installed on the server. May be there are multible java versions existing on the server and while stopping the service the exact java version mentioned in the Path to executable is not stopped. Just a thought...

Thanks
Surendra