Issue with searching requests

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Issue with searching requests

Hi,

We have 'Defect Request' enabled for all users with all privileges. All defects has common field 'Priority' using same validation and same token. However, We have customized the priority field for request type = Defect request. We are using field that has got some developmental priority options. When user creates fresh defect request, this customized priority field is mandatory and must have one option selected by default.

The issue is - When we search defect requests, we could see few defects with Priority as 'Normal', some with 'High' and some are blank!! Ideally it should show our customized values. But its okay for us if it shows 'Normal', 'High' etc values. But the challenging question is, why some of the defects are coming with empty priority (blank).

Any idea, what could be wrong and where?
(Attaching the snap for more clear picture)

Regards,
Sam.
25 REPLIES
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

Re: Issue with searching requests

Hi Sam,

You mentioned that you created a customized field named Priority. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On searching for Defect requests, are you sure that you are using the custom field Priority. I would use the Advanced Search option on the Request List portlet and add in the custom field Priority and remove the OOTB field Priority.

Let me know if this helps.

- Nisha Kurien
Deep Mehta
Respected Contributor.

Hi Sam,

Please verify the following for your customized priority field:

1. Priority token is 'PRIORITY_CODE'
2. Priority validation is 'CRT - Priority - Enabled'

PPMC looks for the OOTB Token on search columns. Updating Token and validation should resolve your issue.

Thanks,
Deep
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Nisha,

All requests are using 'Priority' field (I think this field is HP supplied field). But for one request (of type 'Defect Request') we are using customized priority field (lets call it as 'Priority_cuz'. We created it from workbench).

We are facing the issue while searching from default option (called 'Search Requests') present under 'Demand Management' section.
In this issue, for searching we are not using any portlet.

Ideally, there should have been some configuration way, where in we could customize the 'Search Requests' section for selecting/de-seleccting the shown columns. So that we would have added a column for 'Priority_cuz'. But I was unable to find this also :(

Do you really this its a configuration issue and not a valid bug in HP PPM?

Regards,
Sam.
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

In the screenshot that you sent, there is a button called Modify Search. Click the button.

This should show you another button called Advanced Search. Click the button and scroll all the way to the bottom.

There you should see two columns called Available Columns and Selected Columns. (screenshot attached)

Using the arrow you can select columns and add it to the Selected Columns portion.

Once you have done that, you can SAVE the search, so it will show up at any point in time. You would need to customize it only one time.

When saved the name you provide, will appear on the left hand side of the menu under Demand Management -> Saved Searches.

sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Deep,

For request type = Defect Request, we are using a customized priority field (say 'Priority_cuz') and to this filed we have:
1. Token as 'DEFECT_PRIORITY'
2. Validation is 'DEFECT PRIORITY'. This validation has got values like - 'Primary', 'Secondary', 'Tertiary'.

So when we search requests using 'Search Requests' option present under Demand Management section, we should ideally get 'Primary'...etc. But we are still getting 'Normal', 'High' which are bound to HP supplied priority field i.e 'Priority'.

So now, what should I do to either get customized values ('Primary'..etc) or empty values for such request types search?

Note that, the snap I shared earlier was not an output of any portlet. Instead, its HP's default search option under Demand Management ('Search Requests').

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam
Sangiliraja_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi SAm,

In "Search Requests" page after selecting the Request type name as "Defect Request". Click on "Advanced Search". Then scroll to the bottom of the page and you can see all the fields which can be displayed. All fields displayed in the selected columns will be displayed.

If you are not able to see some fields then in workbench under the field configuration check the option to "Display in Search and Filter" and vice versa.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Nisha,

But what if users are trying to search with concatinated strings. for e.g. For the field Request Type (in Search form) one can type values as - Defect Request, Development Request (2.0), Dev 2.0?

Because only Defect Request has got customized field where as rest (Development..and Dev 2.0) has got 'Priority' field.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Nisha,

I could not find the customized field at the bottom of Mdofy search page :(.

From workbench I checked, the search option is enabled. (Snap attached with HP supplied priority field and our customized priority field)

Regards,
Sam.
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

On the "Available Column" there is a scrollable list which many a times is easy to miss. Just want to make sure if you scrolled all the way to the bottom to look for the custom field.
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

Also after looking at the screenshot, I dont think it is possible to group fields in PPM like HP field Priority and custom field Defect Priority - mainly because the token names differ. I'm guessing in the Development request, the token name for the priority field (custom one) would be different. Two options are available - Either build a custom portlet that will encorporate the different priority fields into one single column OR try to consolidate all the different request types values in the OOTB field Priority.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Nisha,

Do you mean that if we are impolementing a new customized field in the request type we cannot enable it for showing in 'Search Request' option results under Demand Management.

Also, could you please elaborate your solution further?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

Two parts to answering your question-

1) You mentioned that you were unable to locate the custom field at the bottom of the Search Page. Were you able to locate the two lists - Available Columns and Selected Columns?

If yes, then in the list "Available Column" there is a scrollable list which you can navigate by clicking the arrow downwards with the mouse. So I wanted to know if you did that, coz many times it is easy to miss.

2) I looked at the screenshot you posted and you are using the OOTB portlet - Request list which is the same portlet that is called when you click on Search Request option on the menu.

Now from what I understand, you would like to combine a custom field Defect Priority and OOTB field Priority in one single column on the portlet called Priority.

Since this is an OOTB portlet, the column that will be referenced is the OOTB field Priority. Since the token name is unique, there is no way PPM would know to pull your custom field Defect Priority.

To resolve this, I suggest two options:

Option a) Build a custom portlet that will have a column called Priority. Now using SQL you would then code this column to pick up values from the OOTB column Priority and your custom field Defect column. That way from the users point of view, they see one column say Priority and behind the scene you do the coding portion.

Option b) This would probably be simpler to implement. I would suggest you use the OOTB validation "CRT - Priority - Enabled" and add in values for your different request types.

For ex: The validation would contain values like
- Low
- Normal
- High
- Primary
- Secondary
- Tertiary

To make it more user friendly you could prefix or suffix a short form of the request type name like for example call Primary, "Primary (Defect)" or call Secondary, "Secondary (Defect)"

So your validation would look something like
- Low (Development RT)
- Normal (Development RT)
- High (Development RT)
- Primary (Defect RT)
- Secondary (Defect RT)
- Tertiary (Defect RT)

This does involve some user training as users will need to be instructed on how to fill each request type. However this is a cleaner solution that allows you to use the OOTB Search Request capability.

Let me know if you have further questions.

- Nisha Kurien
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Nisha,

Thanks for the options. Now I am got what you are trying to convey. Pretty neat. However, I have few more clarifications apart from your solutions.

1.In one of my earlier post and snap you could see that we are receving values as 'Normal'..and . from workbench I could see that 'Normal' is the default value for 'Priority' field.

Now, since we are using customized field and have manually disabled the HP provided 'Priority' field, the Priority column (on search) should ideally be empty i.e. , isn't it? I agree, search is not able to fetch customized values and thats fine. But what is irritating users is, why they are able to see 'Priority' column's values being 'Normal' and they want to see it as '' i.e. empty.

Is there anything wrong in the way we disabled 'Priority' field for 'Defect Request' header from workbench?

Regards,
Sam.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Guys,

Now this is a real BUG in this forum webpage. My issue is still not closed but it got closed automatically :(.

Hi Nisha,

Again it happened, please let me know your comments/views on my last post.

Regards,
Sam.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Nisha,

One more additional info - We have not disabled the HP supplied 'Priority' field (for Defect Request) rather, we are not able to do it as its disabled. However, we have just hidden it from the UI.

Do you think, may be internally the code is setting the value for this field with default one i.e. Normal? If yes, how can we override it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Sam.
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

Hi Sam,

I've detailed the steps that could be done to override the value with screenshots.

Please see attached. Let me know how it goes.

- Nisha Kurien
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Nisha. I would prefer option 2). I am attaching the snap of the field with current configuration. I shall update you after changing it.

Additionally, if its the case of configuration, why PPM is setting this default value ('Normal') for some defect requsts and for some it is not?

I think, if I can get answer for this, I would be able to convince upper mgmt on the same.

Regards,
Sam.
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.

Sam - Did you check Option 1 to verify that in the validation none of the values have the default set to 'Y'?

Additionally, if its the case of configuration, why PPM is setting this default value ('Normal') for some defect requsts and for some it is not?
>>>> Good question - I wonder if there is any steps in your workflow that is setting this default value.

Additionally, please check the rules too. There could be a rule that is fired on change event of some fields and that is setting the default value 'Normal'

- Nisha Kurien
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Nisha,

I checked option 1) and yes, the 'Normal' one is set to 'Y'. But as I mentioned, this validation is being used in other request types - Dev, Small dev and Defect requests.

Its only the case that we do not want to use the field 'Priority' in case of Defect Request. Hence the whole issue.

I can check the rules set but where do I find it? I tried searching workbench :(

Thanks

Regards,
Sam.
Nisha Kurien
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Ok, we are getting closer to solving this issue.

Attached is a step by step document.

Let me know how it goes.

- Nisha Kurien

Deep Mehta
Respected Contributor.

Sam,

Before doing any changes, TRY this..

Change the Token Name 'DEFECT_PRIORITY' to 'PRIORITY_CODE' for your customized priority field 'Priority_cuz'.

TOKEN is the key!. I had the same issue for status once :)

Thanks,
Deep
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Hi Nisha,

I applied the changes as mentioned by you. Lets see how it goes now, finger crossed :).

A point to note - Earlier it was inconsistent. But it use to happen for some requests. So now after applying your steps it is not happening for couple of test defect requests I created. But still we need to wait till next week if any user reports back this issue.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Sam.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Nisha. It seems, user has pulled back his request. So, I will not work on this issue.
sam.greg
Honored Contributor.

a BIG thanks to Nisha.