Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Defect Request workflow

Highlighted
sam.greg

Issue with Defect Request workflow

Hi,

While creating the requests of type Defect Requests I could see available option buttons as - Assigned, Cancelled.

However, when I checked the workflow of Defect Request it just showed step 'Assigned' and I could not see 'Cancelled' step anywhere.

How this is different? I have a feeling that I am missing something here in my understanding.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Sam
19 REPLIES
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Re: Issue with Defect Request workflow

Click that 'Cancelled' button... Nothing should happen.

If nothing happens... then the transition is never made.

Regards,
Mahendran M

The Assigned, Cancelled are values defined in the workflow step sources under Decisions.

If you would like to disable the button Cancelled, you can do so. Open the validation and double click "Cancelled" and set the Enabled Flag to 'N'.

Save the validation. Create a new Defect request. You should only see one buttone "Assigned".

Let me know how it goes.

- Nisha Kurien
sam.greg

am attaching the workflow snap, and buttons enabled at this stage.
sam.greg

another snap.
sam.greg

The basic issue is, one user is receiving error, when he tries to cancel that defect. (A defect request with available actions as Assigned or Cancelled)

But when he cancels he receives the attached error.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Sam.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Sam,
You are telling that when the End user clicks the 'Cancelled' Orange action button, He gets the error.

First of all this 'Cancelled' is not configured in your Workflow.

To Configure, Please follow the following Steps.

1. Right Click on step '3. Open' and click 'Add Transition'
2. Drag it to step number '8. Close (Immediate Failure) - 100%'

And ask the user to click the 'Cancelled' action button again. I am not sure about the QC Error.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Mahendran M
sam.greg

Thanks for steps Mahendran.

I completely agree with you about workflow do not have 'Cancelled' action at this stage. However, we could see the button enabled
isn't it? How that can happen if its not configured in workflow.

Thanks,

Sam
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi Sam,
There are lot of scenario's in which this can happen.... I can explain each one to you if I sit with you by your desk :-))

A simple scenario the 'Cancelled' Transition could have been deleted by anyone by mistake.

Regards,
Mahendran M

Hi Sam,

there are two eligible steps. The second one is '11. Cancel Defect' and therefore you seen the 'Cancelled' action button.

The error message comes from QC integration part. Have a look at the server log, perhaps QC isn't availiable.

Kind Regards,
Michael
sam.greg

Thanks Michael. You are correct about eligible steps that we could see from the snaps.

However, I would like to know how its getting displayed? If I login from workbench step 11. cancel defect is being called only from 'Create Request' step only.

For all the rest stages, there is no link between the cancel defect and correcponding stage.

What could be the issue here?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Sam.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

When step 1 of your workflow exits with the Succeeded transition, both steps [2. New] and [11. Cancel Defect] are enabled. When the Open button is clicked for step 2, step [3. Open] is enabled and you will see the Assigned button. Step 11 is still enabled and will remain enabled until the request closes.
sam.greg

Thanks Jim.

Surprisingly, now suddenly I am dont have any action buttons enabled. Please find attached snap. I created this request just now, so it should have action buttons, isn't it? I haven't changed anything.

(Just FYI - I could see the defect got created in QC as well. We have PPM and QC integration enabled.)

Anything that is missing that I am not understanding here?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Sam.
Richard Woodman
Super Collector

Please show us the corresponding graphical view. This will show us what steps have been transversed and give us more information to answer your question.

FYI.. on the error message you received in the earlier posts. Is it possible that someone was in the QC Defect when you tried to update the PPM Defect? When a user in in the QC Defect, it locks the database record and prevents PPM from committing the updates to QC.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Go to the bottom of the Status section of the request display. Click the link labeled Approval Details. This will tell you who has access to every enabled step. If security is set to a security group, the group name will be a link that will list all members of the group.
sam.greg

Ohh my goodness!!! When I searched the same defect request (snap in earlier post) with NO action button, has now action buttons???

What is happening? Please help me in understanding such magic.

Yesterday, I saw the same request number and it had no action buttons. However when I am looking at it now, it has got desired action buttons. How that is possible? (see snap of same defect request attached.)

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sam.
sam.greg

Please note, nobody is using the system except myself (as its test PPM server) and the request is at same stage.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Have you removed and added a security Group from your ID Recently?

Regards,
Mahendran M
sam.greg

no.

I didnt change anything as last I accessed the system is at the time I left for the day. And then when I came to office this morning.

Please help.

Regards,
Sam.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Sam,
Frankly it is very hard for anyone to narrow down the root cause on a system in which we have no access.

If you can re-create this issue again and if you can give the steps to re-create we can look further.

At some times, System behaves like this, if we do a refresh and clear cache, the system will work fine.

Regards,
Mahendran M
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event