Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Is there utility to view extracted object type xml in easy read format? Migrating to newer PPM ver

Highlighted
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Is there utility to view extracted object type xml in easy read format? Migrating to newer PPM ver

We are migrating all of our object types from 9.12 to 9.14.  The migrator doesn't really work because we are migrating to a newer version - I can force it to work by tweaking the source_descriptor.xml.  However we really didn't want to move all the old object types, validations, sc, and clutter up our new environment.  

If I don't use the migrator, I have to open each object type and manually copy paste each field name, token, validation and all the commands into a document to use as a reference.   This is time consuming and obviously not a good approach.

If I use the migrator and select export only, it generates a zip file containing all the object type values in xml format.  This is good, but impossible to use as a manual reference.

Has anyone run into this migrating to new PPM server?   What approach did you take?   Use the migrator or manually rebuild objects?   

Is there a utility to view the migrators' content bundle xml in a way to would just match the layout of the object type to make it easier to manually recreate them?

3 REPLIES
Derek Giedd
Honored Contributor.

Re: Is there utility to view extracted object type xml in easy read format? Migrating to newer PPM

I have built a tool to extract this info and put it into Word and Excel files.  It does not document every setting but it does get a lot.  This tool is not finished yet so your feedback will help me make improvements.  I will send you a PM with a link to download this.  

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Is there utility to view extracted object type xml in easy read format? Migrating to newer PPM

The most reliable way to migrate stuff to a later revision level is to have it in an instance that is upgraded, then migrate it to the instance you want it in. If you do not have an instance that you are planning to upgrade in the near future, you could clone the older instance and upgrade the clone. That is a lot of work so I understand why you would want a shortcut. You may find that a shortcut through the swamp can lead to nasty problems, though, and I doubt HP would consider them a problem with the product.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

Here is the trick to modify the source_descriptor.xml for migration purpose between different PPM version.

1. Take backup of table knta_archives
  2. Run this SQL and save the value in any text file (this is to restore the changes once migration is completed)

select VERSION   from   knta_archives
        where  BASE_FILENAME = 'knta_client'
        and    archive_type = 'jar';

3. Identify the Destination PPM version value (either use below SQL or check source_descriptor.xml of destination PPM instance)

select VERSION   from   knta_archives
        and    archive_type = 'jar';

Save the value as it will be needed. Say for example it 9,2,2,1294 (it will be comma instead of dot)

4. Loging to Source PPM database
  5. Exceute this SQL 

update knta_archives
    set  VERSION =   '9,2,2,1294' 
          and  archive_type = 'jar'  

Note: Make sure you execute it in Source PPM database, this will make the source_descriptor.xml file version same as that of destination PPM version.

6. Commit the update transaction.
  7. Create the package and check the vesion in  source_descriptor.xml file
  8. Once all the packages are migrated, revert the changes i.e. update the version value in databse to previous value.

-----------------OR------------------

Or vice-versa, you can modify destination version and then can migrate the change.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)