Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to modify existing project work-flow ?

Highlighted
Jegadeesh Ramam
Super Collector

Is it possible to modify existing project work-flow ?

Hello,

Could somebody answer this ?

Let's say I already have a PPM project with
a work-flow type and the project has been
initiated and active.
Now is it possible to modify this project's
work-flow to add/remove work-flow steps ?

The reason I'm asking this is, we've projects which have started using the default PPM project work-flow and now we want to add some additional capabilities, which can also be used by these currently running projects.

Also anybody has ideas on if and how a work-flow can be linked into another work-flow ?

btw, we're on PPM 7.5 version.

Appreciate a quick response....

Thanks in advance
Jeg

5 REPLIES
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to modify existing project work-flow ?

You can modify the existing Workflow.
You can add new steps. No issues At all.

You cannot delete the workflow steps if you have atleast one request passing through that request.

There is a concept called Sub workflows.... through this concept you can link workflows.

It is safe to make a copy of the existing workflow and do the changes in new copy so that the newly created Projects will follow the new WF and Old Projects will follow OLD WF.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Jegadeesh Ramam
Super Collector

Thanks much, for the quick response, Muthu.
Have some follow-on queries inline....
Could you see if you can answer ?

You can modify the existing Workflow.
You can add new steps. No issues At all.

RJ>> Just to re-confirm, you're saying we can modify the work-flow of **currently running project** ...correct ?
Could you provide some additional points on the steps to do this ? or point me to relevant docs/sections ?

You cannot delete the workflow steps if you have atleast one request passing through that request.

RJ>> Do you mean a particular step can't be deleted if you've already traversed that step in the past ? or even any future steps ?

There is a concept called Sub workflows.... through this concept you can link workflows.

RJ>> could you provide some additional details or a pointer to reference doc ?

Thanks again
Jeg
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

RJ>> Just to re-confirm, you're saying we can modify the work-flow of **currently running project** ...correct ?
MM>> Yes you are 100% correct, If you want more clarification, I will paste HP Confirmation on this.

RJ>>Could you provide some additional points on the steps to do this ? or point me to relevant docs/sections ?
MM>>You have to delete the Transition buttons and introduce the new step and add transition buttons, Let me see if I have documents on this.

RJ>> Do you mean a particular step can't be deleted if you've already traversed that step in the past ? or even any future steps ?
MM>> if you've already traversed that step in the past you CANNOT Delete that step. If you have a future step through which no requests passed then in this scenario you can delete the step.

RJ>> could you provide some additional details or a pointer to reference doc ?
MM>> 'http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals' can provide you more docs.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Jegadeesh Ramam
Super Collector

Thanks Muthu for the details. Appreciate your help.
If you could find any doc on the steps to
modify the running work-flow and share it, that would be great help.
My mail-id is - r_jeg@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

HP Advice on this.

Hi Mahendran,

Thanks for giving your time to discuss the issue.

Here is the explanation for your doubt,

Consider, we have a workflow with total 7 steps (step 1->step 2â ¦.-> step 7).
Now I have created one request (request id # 123) using this workflow and I have proceed this request till step 4.
I have another request (request id # 456) which is at initial step I.e. step 1.
Now I modified the workflow; I replaced step 3 with new step say â step Aâ and added 2 more steps between step 5 and step 6 say â step Bâ and â step Câ .
After modifying the workflow I created some new requests, all are following the new modified workflow.
But this is not the case with existing requests.
If I opened the first request (request id # 123) and checked the graphical view of workflow, it will show the old workflow till step 4 and updated workflow after step 4. i.e. it will be something like [step 1->step 2 -> step 3 -> step 4 -> step 5 -> step B -> step C -> step 6 -> step 7]
For another request (request id # 456), it will show the updated workflow [step 1->step 2 -> step A -> step 4 -> step 5 -> step B -> step C -> step 6 -> step 7]

This is the behavior of the product.

As per our conversation I am closing this ticket.

You can mail me in future if you need any assistance on the same.

Have a nice day!

Thanks,
Asma

Regards,
Mahendran M
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event