Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Is it possible to, make only one field editable by a specific user in a specific status

Highlighted
kndlny
Super Contributor.

Is it possible to, make only one field editable by a specific user in a specific status

Hi,

We are using PPM 9.10.

I wonder whether it is possible to make only one field editable by a specific user in a specific status, but not any other fields in that

status.

I know that user who is supposed to edit fields should have been defined in the User Access tab of a request type. However, this

provides user to edit all of the editable fields in a specific status. And if I give that user a field level security for a specific field, but

not defined him in the user access tab, this will prevent user from editing any field. Thus, I got stuck and need help.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES
SureshR
Super Contributor.

Re: Is it possible to, make only one field editable by a specific user in a specific status

Hi Kndlny,

You can use field level security for your requirement. You can access this by open that field in request type and use Security tab.

Regards,

Suresh

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Is it possible to, make only one field editable by a specific user in a specific status

On the User Access tab for the request type, grant View and Edit access for Workflow Security. Specify a unique status value for the workflow step and give this specific user security access on the step. Set up the status dependencies for this status to allow edit access only on the one field.

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

A suggestion: we never configure specific individuals for any access. Instead, we configure a security group for the role that the individual is filling. It is much simpler to place a new person into a role defined this way than to update all of the entries in various security settings when people move to different roles.

kndlny
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the suggestion Jim, I will keep that in mind.

But that is not quite what I need. Specifying a new status means, a new workflow transaction.

It seems there is no way to do it in a single status. I guess you cannot define a field security based on the status, the user and the field at the same time.

As a last resort, maybe its possible via a rule based on SYS.USER_ID and that prevents editing all the editable fields in that specific status but the one I want to be edited.

kndlny
Super Contributor.

Hi SureshR,

I know but I also need to give edit rights to the user in that specific status which also provides user to edit all the editable fields in that specific status. And that I don't want.
Utkarsh_Mishra
Acclaimed Contributor.

Make a duplicate field (same label) and make it visible and editable to that specific user;

Then create a Rule on field changes and populate the updated value in the Primary field.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
kndlny
Super Contributor.

Thanks Utkarsh but again user will be able to edit all the editable fields in that status.

SureshR
Super Contributor.

As suggested by Utkarsh, You can make duplicate fields (but same label name). Make 1 field visible at particular status and then apply field level security (whereas at this status the second duplicate field will not be visible) and vice versa.

Regards,

Suresh