Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Is it possible to have HP PPM v8 and v7.5 on the same machine?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
roxor
Honored Contributor.

Is it possible to have HP PPM v8 and v7.5 on the same machine?

Hello,

we are going to test upgrade our 7.5 PPM to version 8. We need to test it first. I think it is good idea to test it on our DEV instance. It is possible to upgrade DEV instance of HP PPM and in the same time have PROD on v7.5? They are on the same server using Windows server 2008.

I know that the best option is to test it on the virtual machine but for that purpose I have to install Windows, Oracle, PPM 7.5... Too much effort needed...
1 REPLY
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Is it possible to have HP PPM v8 and v7.5 on the same machine?

We have run multiple versions on a server a couple of times. It is possible. We use AIX, though, and I have no idea what issues would show up on Windows.

How simple it would be depends partly on whether the two versions can use the same versions of Java, Oracle, etc. You do not indicate what SP level of 7.5 you are running. You may want to upgrade to SP7 before looking at 8.0.

Keep in mind that any changes to the system configuration that you make while working with 8.0 could have an unintended impact on your production instance. Best Practices would call for an isolated development environment.

If you are upgrading, you should consider going all the way to 9.1. In spite of the numbering, this really is just a minor upgrade and the end of life date is still open.