Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get jconsole working remotely with HP PPM with in a linux enviornment.

Highlighted
jrconn
Occasional Advisor

Is it possible to get jconsole working remotely with HP PPM with in a linux enviornment.

Seeing that PPM runs on a flavor of JBOSS, I'm wondering if any of you out there have been able to get jconsole, or something like it working with the PPM jvm's that run in a linux enviornment?

I'm trying to find a utility that I can use for real time monitoring of ppm jvm's seeing that the JMX console program that comes with PPM is junk.

Any advise or pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES
dirkf
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get jconsole working remotely with HP PPM with in a linux enviornment.

Hi jrconn,

there's currently a ticket open with this question in AMX support team. If this is NOT you, I'll gladly monitor the outcome for you, else I guess you'll get the answer via the ticket at least from PPM support perspective.

The ticket information as it currently stands is that this feature is not documented, thus not officially supported.

Let me know if this is your ticket or not.

Best regards,

Dirk

AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get jconsole working remotely with HP PPM with in a linux enviornment.

My salesman has the perfect answer for this: buy HP BSM! :) (including HP Diagnostics, of course)

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
jrconn
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dirkf,

I did submit a ticket, and have received some push back along the lines that its not documented.

I can understand that they don’t want to be responsible for documenting a third party tool due to the many flavors of a ppm installation but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

In this day and age, JVM monitoring is pretty standard stuff, and jboss application server comes with a JMX connector and PPM comes packaged with the JMX console but that tool ( if you want to call it that ) is like 10 years past its prime. But the JMX console uses the same connector Jconsole would use.

We need to take advantage of something more robust.

I was looking to this forum for pointers, tips, and tricks, because I’m sure someone has set this up or something like it for this app, but I work in a limited environment where there isn’t much room for playing around, so if I need to make changes to network or platform settings, even in dev, I need to make specific requests what I want changed. Not much room for experimentation.

Thanks,

Jason

ZDS
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

PPM dev here de-lurking to quickly answer this. It's possible, you just need to set the relevant JVM options in kStart.sh:

SYSTEM_PROPS="    $SYSTEM_PROPS  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=12345"

SYSTEM_PROPS="    $SYSTEM_PROPS  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false"

SYSTEM_PROPS="    $SYSTEM_PROPS  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false"

where 12345 is your chosen port. Now you might be wondering, PPM already has a server.conf property called APP_SERVER_JMX_RMI_PORT. So why on earth can't you just use that?

The answer is that, APP_SERVER_JMX_RMI_PORT refers to the port on which JBoss's JRMPInvoker service listens. This is a homegrown JMX invoker service written by the JBoss folks, and JConsole does not know how to talk to it. (But note that, if you go to the trouble of writing your own JMX client and include the relevant JBoss libraries, you *can* make JMX calls against APP_SERVER_JMX_RMI_PORT).

JConsole (and nearly all other JMX clients) want to talk to the standard Java RMIConnectorServer JMX invoker service, hence the above additional params are required.

Thanks, Joe

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event