Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Is it Possible to Set Different Shared Page as Default Landing Page for Different Group of Users ? ?

Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Is it Possible to Set Different Shared Page as Default Landing Page for Different Group of Users ? ?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here has figured out a solution for this.

We use a lot of Custom Request types here to accomplish various different IT and business needs.  

And, we have Many "Shared" module pages that are shared with various Groups like Analysts, DBAs, Developers, IT Managers, Business Users etc.  There are specific module pages for each group which they would like to refer to most of the time but some pages are also shared with all these Groups as they "sometimes" need to access them.

We were looking for a solution that would allow us to set a "different" Module Pages as default landing pages for different groups of users. e.g. Analysts always need "Analyst Toolbox Page" to be default landing, whereas Developers need "ERP Developers Toolbox " Page as default.   I could tell them to Copy the appropriate shared pages to Private and take it to the Top but as soon as that happens, we lose control of that page which regularly needs to get updated with various information so we need to keep them as Admin Controlled sahred pages.

Is there any idea anyone can suggest us here ?   Anykind of Suggesions would be appreciated !

Thanks.

-Raj

5 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Is it Possible to Set Different Shared Page as Default Landing Page for Different Group of Users

One thing you could do is just tell the users to navigate to the page they want to be their "landing" page, and save that as a browser favorite. Then they can launch PPM from that favorite link and get right to that page.

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Is it Possible to Set Different Shared Page as Default Landing Page for Different Group of Users

Thanks Erik ! Thats a pretty good idea.
Unfortnatley we do have our General ITG URL link avaialble in various different internal applications and if people access it from there, they would probably run into same issues like now. Nevertheless, yours' is a pretty Good idea overall so I will try to share this with some of our regular users.
Thanks !
-Raj
Sangliraja1
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Raj,

One more suggestion.

Remove the default landing page for all users.

As all are shared pages, there is a table that stores the distribution ordering in database. The first in the order amongt the shared pages will be landing page for the users provided there are no custom dashboard page/s. You will be update the distribution order in the table so that based on the role the first page gets loaded.

If you require the code that i was using in my instance previously to do this, i can share for your reference.

Thanks

Sangiliraja.P

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Sangiliraja,

The Problem for me is we have most users with a lot of Priviate pages of their own. Most were "distributed" by admins in the past using ITG's old functionality which allowed admin to either "distribute" or "publish" pages. 

But I sure would be interested to take a peek at the code you may be using in your case.  That may directly help us or help us generate other ideas.  So, will appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

-Raj

Sangliraja1
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Raj,

Please find the steps below.

1. Increment the current order to 1 by ths stmt

update dsh_container_sequence set sequence = (sequence+1)

2. based on the role and which module has to be the first run update stmt as below. I did a cursor for users on roles and i did the update for each user in a loop.

update dsh_container_sequence
        set sequence = 1
        where module_id = qc_module_id
        and user_id = c1.user_id;

Thanks

Sangiliraja.P