Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Is SSH logon name is case sensitive in CYGWIN ? example (ssh administrator@server name)

Highlighted
ManojKumarNS
Trusted Contributor.

Is SSH logon name is case sensitive in CYGWIN ? example (ssh administrator@server name)

There are two servers(1 staging server and 1 prod server) in US domain. usppmdemand is an account in the US domain.

In stage server, the passwd(a file inside cygwin/etc folder) contains the account name as usPPMDemand and the prod server’s passwd file has USPPMDEMAND.

Shh connection works perfectly only when I use the same account name(case sensitive) in the passwd file,

Stage server to prod server:-

Ssh USPPMDEMAND@prod server  name.

BUT SSH IS NOT OPENING WHEN I USE ,

Ssh usppmdemand@prod server name.

Prod server to stage :-

Ssh usPPMDemand@stage server name.

BUT SSH IS NOT OPENING WHEN I USE ,

Ssh usppmdemand@stage server name

1.Do you have any idea why the passwd file got update with different case letters in stage and prod or please let me know how we can rectify this without any impact ? I just did googling and found some things but not sure about the resolution,

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-07/msg00150.html

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-04/msg00037.html

Observations:-

1. while updating the password file, I have just used the command mkpasswd –d US –u usppmdemand >> /etc/passwd. 
  2. In stage, On very first time after installing the Cygwin, I logged into the stage server with the service account and opened the Cygwin and it was showing usPPMDemand@stage server name.
  3. In PROD, On very first time after installing the Cygwin, I logged into the stage server with the service account and opened the Cygwin and it was showing USPPMDEMAND@prod server  name.
  4. HP PPM version 9.20
  5. Cygwin version - 1.7.16(0.262/5/3)
  6. Openssh Version - OpenSSH_6.0p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012

2. I have a small question, in the workbench-> environment,  is the username case sensitive ?  (I guess it is not!!)

Usually, when we click on the check button in the environment, it will check all the connections (example : secure copy 2 server, SSH server etc..).. So, I guess, the HP PPM will use Cygwin in background and check the ssh connection. Right ? if yes, to which file the HP PPM will go and search for the username and password to establish ssh connection and check it?

Thanks
Manoj